Search all Forums?

/ Search all Forums? #11  
Bob, this is where Muhammad or Ibrahim will have to respond. I'm not sure what options are available. I like the option to search related forums, i.e., both JD, both NH, etc.

/ Search all Forums?
I guess I'd have to agree, winchman. Not that I'm complaining! I love this site regardless, but I sure do miss the "search all". Very recently there was a thread on refueling. I am getting ready to rig up a drum for myself and there was some very good comments in that thread. I have since done at least twenty searches if not more and still haven't found it. Anyone know where it is??

/ Search all Forums?
Ahhh...thanks Jerry! Don't know why but I did think it would be in that forum. I looked at Customization, Projects, Build it yourself etc. Thanks Again! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Search all Forums? #15  
I'm going to have to add my vote here! I really miss the "all forums" option while searching. I find it particularily challenging to find things now. If someone puts a thread in one area and then it tends to go in a couple of different directions /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, the result is that you potentially have great quality information under a heading that doesn't match. For example you end up having to search under Kubota Owning/Operating for something on raising chickens! (Ok, I made up that example /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, but I thing you see where I'm going!).

Kevin

/ Search all Forums? #16  
Hello All,

Unfortunately, like many things that are for your own good (medicine, for example) it may taste a little bit bitter, but it's good for you!

This is the same thing. There is no other choice than what we have done now. The demands of searching the largest forum (Related Topics) for any word, it takes longer than I'd like (3 seconds.)

That is with only 36,937 posts to search. A search through all forums is nearly ten times that much. And locks the database for 30 seconds, sometimes more.

I've been over the numbers time and time again, and traced the slow queries to the search every time. And when the search is slowing things down, everything gets slowed down.

This is just a fact of life now. We cannot run this forum with the full-forum search. Even the group-only searching slows the site down to unacceptable standards.

The standards are our own choosing, but the faster the better. 3 seconds is the longest I'd like a search to take. I have that now, if I can find ways to increase it even more, I will. But we cannot and will not put in features that seriously hurt the performance of the site for any number of people.

And to counter the thought of "Hey, I gotta do 10 searches, it slows ME down!" think of it this way, when you do just one search, you're stealing 30-40 seconds away from everyone else on the forum. At peak times that's 100-125 users... That's taking up anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour and twenty minutes of time! Yikes!

So, in sum, I know it's a little bit more trouble to search each forum, but in the long run, it will keep this site running better, faster, and longer.

Ibrahim

/ Search all Forums? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've been over the numbers time and time again, and traced the slow queries to the search every time. And when the search is slowing things down, everything gets slowed down. )</font>

Hi Ibrahim,

Okay, sounds like there isn't any other reasonable choice. Sorry.. didn't mean to cause you extra work.. was just thinking out loud. You guys have done a fantastic job of speeding things up here, and I believe I can speak for all in saying thanks for your hard work!!

I can live without the global search.....

Again, sorry.. didn't mean to cause problems or extra work!

Warmest regards,
Bob

/ Search all Forums? #18  
No Problem, Bob.

Ibrahim

/ Search all Forums?
I know this horse is pretty dead by now but if you could indulge me with one more thought; the best I can tell, when we do a search, it searches all words in the entire thread. Would there be an improvement in overhead if on an "All Forums" search, you just read the subject line only. It would seem to me that this would greatly improve the issue of overhead and still give us a reasonable search response in most cases. Of course I don't know what programming challenges this would present. Any thoughts?

Like everyone else here, I appreciate this site and all that you folks do to keep it running so smoothly!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Search all Forums? #20  
Ibrahim,

I don't know if this is possible here or not. I've seen it in other searches so thought I'd suggest it. Here goes...

Since the 'global search' is gone forever /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, would it be possible to at least save the search term from one search to the next? In other words, if I'm searching for XYZ in Forum A and it yields no results, could I back up and still see XYZ and Forum A as options so then I can just move to Forum B and search that one, etc.?

I'd really love to see something like that so we don't have to retype whatever we want to find over and over. A different color or highlight on already searched forums in the list during the same search would be neat, too, but I might be overreaching there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif What do you think?

Thanks for all your work on here. I'm sure I have no idea what all goes into this but want you to know how much I appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif