Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool.

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool. #31  
"you have to wonder if the battery charger did not like the nasty square waveform that comes out of most inverters."

That would be my guess......

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool. #33  
I have the Milwaukee V28 grinder, just got a couple of the new M28 batteries for it, sweet tool but a bit spendy .

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool. #34  
In 1990 I paid $1300 for my 1800W invertor... it powers my small skil saw, air compressor and most of all... my Spartan Cable Machine.

For some reason it does not work well with my chargers from that same era... Bosch and Makita.

When I followed up with both companies I was told the inverter made dirty power...

So I contacted Stat Power and leaned for another $1000 or a total of $2200 in 1990 in 1990 dollars I could buy a sine wave inverter that was designed for sensitive electronics used on boats.

My solution was to buy Makita and Bosch 12v cigarette lighter chargers which still work great and keep my inverter as is...

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool. #35  
.............When working with him on a carpet job he stopped and got a Dewalt 4-1/2" grinder............I was totally unimpressed....................

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there's a huge difference between the 18V cutoff tool and the 20V Max grinder. My bet would be the tool your BIL picked up was the old 18V. The last time I sharpened the 3 blades on my RFM the 20V grinder did all 3 and had power remaining. The 18V tool I got rid of would have gone through several batteries.

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool. #36  
Chim I wonder if the biggest difference is an 18v tool is likely to have old NiCad batteries. Never judge a man's tool until you've walked a mile discussing how he treats his batteries. Often they are not treated at all, neglected, and NiCads need to be kept charged and run up & down. They were fragile in that way. If NiCads sit for a year and self-discharge they may never come back. 18v is probably NiCads which are About 10 yrs old technology, so you know the batteries are older than 5 yrs.

Quality NiCad batteries last only 3-5 years anyway and then capacity diminishes significantly. 20v are probably newer Li-Ion type, much better technology, and sometimes more power too. The old 18v unit with new 2015 batteries would perform well.

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool.
OK it was 57 seconds to cut a 3/4" logging cable. Can't tell you how many times but probably 10-20 cables per battery.

Bruce if I had to cut 37 cables I'd go find a more interesting project. :D

Thanks for the test.
I know the last time I had to cut a cable off it was about 10-12 cuts to completely free the rotor. If it was 37 cuts to free it I would be in a world of hurt. If your estimates are correct then I could expect to get one battery to one tangle-up. As I originally posted my experience with cordless is limited. I had not realized there were cigarette lighter/accessory plug chargers for the battery packs. That is an idea. As long as I don't tangle more often/frequently than the charger can recharge the battery pack then 10 cuts might just make it.(until a really good tangle requires more cuts than that then SOL)

The dirty power of most inverters would be a problem with the chargers I am certain.

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool. #38  
Thanks for the reminder to cut that cable out!

Get a good brand you will have many other uses for a good tool set. I rarely uncoil an extension cord anymore and I do a LOT of stuff. Wish I had newer batteries mine are 2011 & 2012 NiCads on their last legs.

/ Search for Mobile Cutoff Tool. #39  
Hooked up my old invertor just for giggles and grins and played around when I got home from working tonight, a combined 70hrs at the farm and with marketing this week doesn't leave me much time :D

So looking at my old invertor Amazon.com: ACDelco 59-204 400 Watt Power Inverter With Two AC Outlets: Home Improvement, I cant really discern a date code on it but I know I bought it sometime in the early 2000's before I left Maine in 2006, and using a 12 volt plug in a tailgate accessory outlet on my old Durango a 2002 I hooked up every charger I had...

And they all worked AOK. :)

A new Milwaukee dual volt 12/18 was first. Everything worked fine first battery reached charge 12v then cycled over to the 18v. I set it that way for time constraints,. A 1.5 12v is usually less than 30min from fully drained to full charge

Then tried my Makita quick charger from my second Makita 18v NiCad drill kit one of the last model releases just before the lion changeover, yup lit, charged and the lights changed color. :thumbsup:

Next was my OLD greenish colored Makita NiCad charger from my very first Makita18v kit. Drill, saw and flashlight combo bought sometime in the 90's. Drill got stolen at work about 5 years ago. Still have the flashlight for what it worth, but the cordless saw I still use often, almost daily, and so far its kept me from away adding a new Milwaukee cordless lion powered circular saw. And that old charger worked ok too.

After that, a 12v Makita NiCad charger and battery from a complete drill kit (case included) that I picked up at the flea market for 3 bucks! :eek: Again no problem.

And last a Harbor Frieght 18V quick charger from a 5 3/8 cordless circular saw that I still have and still use on occasion and that saw also (once again) keeps me from buying a new Milwaukee 12v Fuel replacement. :rolleyes:

Surprisingly (even to me :laughing: ) that unit had no issues either

So I guess I'm good :D

One quirk I did notice was that when I was swapping over different chargers with the invertor on but the engine off several times it wouldn't recognize the charger being plugged in (or maybe the charger wouldn't recognize the voltage signal :scratchchin: ) switching the invertor off first and then back on after plugging the charger in first, took of resetting it.

Last but not least 2 chargers at once engine off only took a minute or so to set the low voltage alarm. Motor running 2 plugged in was fine