Sears Craftsman Professonal Tractor 28874 27HP 54"

/ Sears Craftsman Professonal Tractor 28874 27HP 54" #11  
I was interested in following your post as I had been looking at that "Professional Grade" model also.

I had some concerns about the "Electric deck"? The owner's manual warned against pressing the button to raise or lower for an extended length of time as this "might" overheat the motor. Guess they weren't wrong. It is the only model Sears (well I think they have one other) with an electric lift. Unfortunately they don't offer it in manual lift. The closest thing is the 28860 model which has the same Trans, same size wheels, a 54 deck and a 26 HP Engine. The deck is a little thicker on the "Professional Grade" and I was guessing the frame would be a little stronger. I'll just wait for now.

I've had Craftsman mowers almost exclusively. I first bought them for the service and ease of ordering parts via computer that Sears provided. Each of the riding mowers has provided at least 4 or 5 years service. Each still had enough life left to be sold at yard sales. The one I have now is a 20 HP, 48 Deck that has not given me much more trouble than blades and a few belts. This season I had a problem with the drive belt. It kept jumping off the Transaxle and jamming under the pulley. I went thru 2 belts before I finally threw up my hands and called Sears Repair. They ain't cheap by any means but he was out to the house in about a week. He did some adjustments, replaced the belt, serviced the engine (tune up, oil, and filters) and changed the blades for about $200.00, house call (not too bad). I got about an hours cutting done (I cut about 2 acres around the house) before the blasted belt jammed again. UNDER WARRANTY NOW!

Called Sears back out (took another week but they did show). The same guy came out (a contractor with Sears). He pondered a while then called a buddy of his for advice. The recommended fix was to put the belt on then bend the Transaxle belt guide bracket up around the belt to just before it touched. A new belt and a 15 minute test drive then a handshake and "You have another 30 days if it messes up again, we will be back to fix it, just call". I finished cutting the entire 2 acres without belt problems. Keep your fingers crossed.

I know you sometimes get what you pay for but at least around here Sears has been good about their service and parts. I do most of my own work but thought maybe they might have a trick or two on how to fix this problem. I am a satisfied Craftsman Lawn Mower customer.

I will second what others have said here. Although Sears calls them "Tractors" I don't consider belt driven to qualify as a TRACTOR. They are mowers and good for hauling around the dirt and leaves but for the big grass/fields and garden work, you need a "REAL TRACTOR"!! Sure you will initially pay up front but you will (most of the time) be better served in the long run. I have a Kubota M4900 for the big stuff (10 acres of pasture and 26 acres of fields). With 10 acres you should find the "mini Tractors" to better serve you.

Good luck on your search.

Danny

/ Sears Craftsman Professonal Tractor 28874 27HP 54" #12  
sarcsurfer said:
1*I have decided to go large and get a sub-compact or compact tractor.
2* Probably should have done this in the first place.
3*There is no comparing the two types of tractors .
4* I know I will be spending significantly more for this type of a tractor.. !
1*Smart move /Very smart
2* Just like I should have bought this instead of the CC GT2554
100_2313.jpg

3*Just like there is no comparison between the CC GT2554 and this sub compact.
4*But it's well worth that difference.

/ Sears Craftsman Professonal Tractor 28874 27HP 54" #13  
I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have just purchased a Craftsman Professional 24 hp, 42" to mow my 1.3 acres and have the following to report.

Where I live in Maryland there are not many great dealers. The closest dealer (he sells mostly high end stuff) I got tired of giving my money to just to have them act like jerks. The closet Deere dealer, that I have heard good things about, isn't that close. I don't like the new Toro riders (they seem cheap, anyone know anything about them?) and the local New Holland guy, well he is another jerk. I was looking for a close CC dealer but no luck. So it was Deere, Sears, and the other big box stores.

I have read enough about Lowes and Home Depot to stay away. So it was the Deere LA165 versus Sears. The 165 was about as high as I wanted to go in price and seemed to be better than the lower 100 series machines found at Home Depot. At Sears I looked at the Snapper, the 4500 series, and the tractor I ended up buying. The Snapper looked pretty decent but I know nothing about them. The Chinese made tires on it did nothing to excite me about the machine. I know that tires alone shouldn't influence buying a tractor but it made me wonder what else Snapper went the cheap route on to be able to sell in Sears. The 4500 series was on sale as was the Professional series but the professional series seemed much better built. The salesman didn't know who made any of the Craftsman machines (no surprise). He could barely tell me the differences between the 4500 and professional line (again no surprise). But for $1800 and 1 year no interest the Professional line was too good to pass up.

24 HP Briggs ELS twin valve, Tuff Torq K46 transmission (Tuff Torq says it is serviceable but I can't find anything in the owners manual about it), and a fairly solid feel. Mowed the lawn twice. By the second time the machine was making a loud noise like no grease in the front axle. I parked it and called Sears (it had only been two weeks since I received it, I am not doing the work Sears should have done). Repair guy shows up (repair window of 8 am to 5 pm), drives it, jacks it up, and yup, barely any grease on front axle. He greases it up and no noise. We check the engine filter and I point out that I noticed previously the pre-filter was not oiled. He recommends oiling it (no surprise). He tells me that Husqvarna built the machine but it has some new features that he knows nothing about and has yet to receive full training on it.

Yeah I did make sure to check the oil to see if they actually put oil in it. They had and it was even the correct amount.

I probably have about 2.5 hours on it now. I did pay for the mulch kit and it appears they put it on but of course Sears didn't let me know what they did.
I don't have the electric lift so no problem there. I like the machine but am afraid what Sears did and did not do to it before delivering it to me. I will change the oil in another 2.5 hours (recommended) and want to go full synthetic. Owners manual says 5w-30 full synthetic is acceptable. Probably will go with Mobil 1 or maybe AMSOIL. Again, any suggestions?

I was afraid of buying from Sears for the exact reasons that I have and others have posted in these forums. But I didn't think the Deere LA165 was that much better a tractor for the extra money. Yeah the service support would be nice but I have the name of someone locally who will do service that I can't do and he comes highly recommended. I need to go over this mower from top to bottom to see what else Sears missed but I do think it is a pretty solid machine.

/ Sears Craftsman Professonal Tractor 28874 27HP 54"
Ok... Ok... I get it! LOL!!! What was I thinking... I was only buying the Sears to cut my two acre yard at home and do some gardening at the farm. I was hoping to pull a small disc harrow or cultivator.

Good news, I got clearance from the tower to go large!!! I just order a Mahindra 2415HST Compact tractor. The kids and I are so excited... I know we will find a bazillion uses around our home and farm for this tractor. I'll be jumping over to the Mahindra forums and update progress on my new toy!

It is a shame to hear I am not alone in my impressions and experience with Sears. I have craftsman tools that go back decades from my grandfather. I have rebuilt his scroll saw and drill twice because parts are still available... That was the beauty of Craftsman. I could always fix anything, but only after a long period of use or my abuse of the product. I was actually sad bringing back the tractor.

Best wishes all and thanks for setting me straight!:D

Oops... make that a 2516HST. Got a call from my dealer. The 2415HST's are sold out and gone. 16 Series is replacing them due to emissions law.

I finally got my new Mahindra 2516HST. Jump on over to the Mahindra forums and check it out... I love it so far!