Seasonal Implements?

/ Seasonal Implements?
Craig -

Looks like the perfect do-it-yourself source for sprayer builders.

Looks interesting -- keep us posted.

HarvSig.gif

/ Seasonal Implements? #22  
Ok all you sprayer builders out there, here's an update. While there is a wealth of information and parts at www.accuspray.com, it's not the whole story. They shipped me a Tee-Jet catalog with the pump I ordered. There are many more variations of nozzle bodies and other miscl fittings than are available on the web. It would be worth getting a catalog before making final plans. The folks at accuspray were very helpful.

I settled on the XR-Teejet nozzle tips and plastic nozzle bodies. The plastic bodies are nice in that they provide a really nice length of thread and a nut to mount the nozzle in the bracket. Only problem i've had so far is that the brass caps that I ordered went on cross threaded in 5 of 7 cases. Even had one of the toolmakers at work try one and he couldn't get it on straight, so it's not a case of fumble fingers. I have had problems in the past with nylon parts in similar applicatons splitting, so I chose to go with the brass caps. I was able to chase the threads, but in the future, i'd go with the plastic caps and order extra. The mounting nut that comes with the plastic body goes on easily, I expect that a plastic cap would also. They also have brass nozzle bodies with male or female pipe threads to attach a hose barb. These are ony $.42, so they might be a more robust way to build a nozzle body with hose attachment for about the same price as the plastic one, but I can see no simple way to fasten these into a mount bracket.

So, what does it all cost? My nozzle assemblies are made from a plastic body, 100 mesh screen, nozzle, cap and a mount bracket to mount on 1.5 inch square tube, and come to $8.15 each. The bracket is $3.50 of that, so it could be a good place to homebrew. The regulator and a pair of ball valves from Grainger ran about $32. I ordered 600 psi, 3/8 pvc hose to conect it all at $.59/foot. For 5 nozzles, the total is about $250. There will be a few more bucks in miscl fittings that I won't know i need 'till I actually assemble it to the tractor. It will pay for itself when I spray this coming spring.

A breakdown of the components (with all the necessary disclaimers about accuracy and suitability etc):

Double barb nylon nozzle body 8120-NYB-406TD $1.14 (single barb same price)
100 mesh strainer 8079-PP-100 $0 .42
Nozzle XR8001 $2.64

brass cap CP1325 $0.48
mount bracket for 1.5" sq tube AA111SQ-1-1/2 $ 3.47

Grainger:

regulator 4UN31 $21.25
ball valve 5X713 $5.27

Happy building

Craig
Hershey, PA

/ Seasonal Implements? #23  
Two years ago I built a spray rig that will cover about 10 ft. path. Went to a company outside of Austin that builds comercial ag sprayers and got nozzles that fit on 3/4" pvc pipe with a clamp. Total cost about $100 for 10 nozzles, 4 are for spare. They are made of nylon. Mounted the pipe to a length of angle iron, bought an electric pump like is on the sprayers at TSC for $85, a few lengths of flex rubber hose, and a free 55 gal. plastic drum. When I want to spray I strap the drum to my 3 pt. platform I got from TSC and use 2 c-clamps to clamp the boom to the back edge of the platform. I can then raise or lower the platform to get the optimum spray pattern and coverage for the specific nozzle. If you have ever looked at nozzles, they have different flow rates, patterns and coverage width. To power the pump I have a power cord with clips on the end which I run to the battery and put an in-line rocker switch in the line at about the place where the power cord passes past my seat on the way to the pump on the platform. It makes it very easy to turn the spray on and off as I tool around the property. Wish I had a digital camera so I could show you the set-up. It has worked quite well for me and if you add the $$ it was very reasonable compared to the ready-builts.

Rod

/ Seasonal Implements? #24  
Rod:
Great setup! I debated the choice of an electric pump or the roller pump I ended up with. The possibility of using the 300 psi from the roller pump as a pressure washer was the deciding factor for me. I was thinking about using the nozzle mounting clamps that you mention, but wasn't sure how much 5 feet of relativly small PVC pipe would whip around with a few nozzles hanging on it? I'ts too late for me now, but how does 3/4 plastic pipe work for a boom. I'm planning to rip a 2x4 into 1.5 inch square stock to use for a boom. Cheap, rustproof, and easily hinged for a folding boom. Gotta admit though, your pipe and c-clamps sure follow the KISS rule.
Scanners are getting pretty common. Know anybody with one to scan a regular photo of your creation?

Craig
Hershey, PA

/ Seasonal Implements?
Rod -

I, too, would like to see a picture or two of your rig. After pricing some off-the-shelf sprayers, I'm ready to do it your way. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

In fact, let me ask the general populace out there where they may have found poly drums for free. I did some calculations and determined that I don't really need a 50-gallon drum -- 25 gallons would be just fine.

I guess it's a question of who buys stuff in such containers and then throws away their empties. The closest I've come so far is those gigundo mayonnaise jars at Costco. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

XMasSig.gif

/ Seasonal Implements? #26  
Harv,

I have a cousin that works at a juice plant (Tree Top) and he gave me 8, 55 Gal drums for nothing but said they sell them for $6.00 apiece. They originally contained collidal Silica which they use to filter the juice such that it is clear instead of cloudy. You might try a juice processor plant.

I also purchased 15 gallon new barrels from G.I. Joe's and SportCo. I don't recall what I paid. The fittings on the purchased barrels are not top notch and hard to prevent leaks.

/ Seasonal Implements? #27  
Harv,the wife got some 35gal. poly drums from a local who sold them for $5 apiece,she uses them for her greenhouse,too bad you live so far out left.You want me to check shipping costs????? Tom

/ Seasonal Implements? #28  
Harv, Craig,
I used a 6 ft. piece of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle iron to support the boom. The boom is about 8 ft so it sticks out about a foot on each end. The spray pattern allows the spray to extend about another foot on each end. As for the free containers, I was lucky to have a neighbor with a source. I have seen them advertised in the paper for about $10. I think they come from food processors who get things like veg. oil, and other bulk liquids in them. My printer has a scanner cartridge that came with it that I never tried out. If I can get a picture of the set-up I will try to post one.

Rod

/ Seasonal Implements? #29  
Harv, I've been lucky so far in getting my barrels free. Some from a soda bottling plant (the syrup came in them) and some from a heavy equipment shop (their industrial solvent came in them).

Bird

/ Seasonal Implements? #30  
Harv
I gather you are planning to buy a complete unit. I see many ideas on how to build a sprayer. After owning one for about 15 years, one of the best additions that you may want to add is a strainer. The one on my system is right after the pump. I have found everything in it form dead flies and spiders to grass clippings. When ever these make it out to a nozzle or sprayer wand the spray pattern will change or plug up. The little filters that come with each nozzle will not collect much dirt before they clog. It's a lot easier to clean one main strainer.
My system is a 45-gallon tank with a cast iron roller pump. It freezes up (corrosion not ice), but putting environmentally friendly antifreeze after each use helps. It has a 31/2 H.P. Honda. It has small 8' tires. I plan to convert it to 3pt this spring. Using an electric pump works, but they are limited by low pressure and volume. The Boom covers about 10'. All the items in the system can be purchased at TSC. When I get a chance form my snow removal chores (wife calls it playing). I will take some pictures and post it here.

ronh/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif