Security concerns for vacation property

/ Security concerns for vacation property #11  
I do not understand why people store junk in their yard and porches......

...because the house is full.

:)

Bruce

/ Security concerns for vacation property #12  
I vote for the camper or motor home approach. No worries, no taxes, you get to know the neighborhood for a few years before committing to build.

Gary's point about the work is valid. We had a camp on a nice lake that was about a 3 1/2 hour drive from home. First thing to do every trip was mow the grass. Then there are trees to trim, and all the regular house maintenance items. No problems that spending money can't fix by paying someone else to do it, but it is an expense. How often are you going to enjoy making that round trip after the initial joy wears off?

Another consideration is there may be shoreland zoning regulations that allow you refurb, or expand by some percentage, the existing structure. But, if you tear it down, then you lose the grandfathered allowances such as distance to the water. Something to check on and understand if it applies.

/ Security concerns for vacation property #13  
Be careful if you tear down the existing structure then try to build a new one. Here in New England within a certain amount of feet from the water if you teardown the original structure you cannot rebuild a new structure as close but you can rehab the original structure on the same footprint.

/ Security concerns for vacation property #14  
Be careful if you tear down the existing structure then try to build a new one. Here in New England within a certain amount of feet from the water if you teardown the original structure you cannot rebuild a new structure as close but you can rehab the original structure on the same footprint.

Sometimes you cannot build at all, from new. Some lake places here have only one wall from the original cabin.

/ Security concerns for vacation property #15  
If I was a thief I would definitely go for the place with all the cameras and high tech security(if you make it look like there's a lot of valuables the meth heads will come). Inconspicuous is by far better than Fort Knox.

/ Security concerns for vacation property #16  
Some good advice here......trailer or motorhome is a good option. Based on what you describe....sounds like a break in waiting to happen. 225 miles away.....how often will you really use the place? I've known folks who bought a vacation home....used it a lot for the first 6 months then slowly stopped using it. After a few years....hardly went there at all. Make sure you really think this purchase through.....good luck.

/ Security concerns for vacation property
Thanks..All good points
Nothing is done yet still waiting on the real estate agent to find out some info prior to really making a offer. Using some tax map software I am locating the property owners on either side to talk to them about the history of the area. But if I build It will be the nicest house on the entire block which isnt saying much. I agree there isnt much a absentee owner can do except limit the valuables and keep our premiums paid up.

already figure either communte with the boat in tow or find storage in town. This lake side access is a real hidden gem but the neighborhood is very low income, Could use the shack for awhile but wifey is not in favor of the lakeside rv. I do see this as an investment opportunity if we build a nice cabin/home

We have another property we are seroiusly looking at the same lake which we really like but the lake access is 50% slope the last 100 ft it will require steps to the water. Currently there is a walking path through the woods but I'm not keen on walking through the woods in snake country. onsite boat storage in no problem here, quiet lakeside subdivision.
Property 1 is move in ready with dock and steep walking trail to water
Property 2 is a "SHINER Shack with a causal stroll to old wooden dock and low income trailer neighbors

/ Security concerns for vacation property #18  
I have a time share condo for 1 week out of the year ( we trade it to go where ever we want each year). It has gotten a lot more expensive over the 20 or so years we have owned it. Now we do this

Attachments

• CIMG0676.jpg
    CIMG0676.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
   / Security concerns for vacation property #19  
Don't put anything in the cabin you don't want stolen, and leave it unlocked. The new thing in Eastern Oklahoma is to take a high-lift jack, turn it horizontal at the level of the lock, and jack the door jams far enough apart to push the door open. The industrious thieves close the door and let the jack close so the door is locked again when they leave.