Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #11  
Dan McCarty, I sure would like to trade you some of my pasture for some of your woods! Anyway I want to hear more about what you said in your post.

"It sends out a bean 2 ft wide and 60 ft long." How far and fast does it shoot out his bean? If it didn't kill'm it should scare the water out of em.

But seriously, I'm interested in trying some of the same ideas as you (and other non-lethal security measures and tactics) now that shooting tresspassers causes so much negative publicity.

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #12  
Chip,
Most ingenious and clever stuff. ...and I thougt I strung together a bunch of "stuff" to make things happen!!! More detail P U L L E A Z E !!!

patrickg@simplyweb.net for 10 more days or so and then I will suffer an unknown period (perhaps months) of netus interruptus. Seems the lass who is buying my city house wants me to move out and I have no living quarters on my rural property except a pole barn and a 72X36 foot shop (neither heated). Sad ain't it? being forced to build a house in the country on 160 acres. Oh woe is me.

Patrick

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #13  
Shooting trespassers only causes negative publicity *if* they find the body...with all the tractors on this forum, surely that wouldn't be a problem /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #14  
RobertN, thanks, I will go to the sight.

Twinkle, went to spycamera. Great sight. Does make you wonder where people are putting all of these cameras.

Bill Cook

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker
Patrick said, "...now that shooting tresspassers causes so much negative publicity."

Yeah, but negative publicity sure would cut down on the tresspassers! :cool:

The Trail Tracker has an infared beam. Anything crossing the beam causes the device to set the date and time of the event. It holds 500 events.

You can add a camera to take pictures of the events as an added cost item. The company has cheaper models that record less events as well as models that only take pictures when the beam is crossed.

So far it seems to work. When I go out to the property today I'll really see how it performed since it will have been working for a week.

Sorry but the beam is not a Star Trek phaser or some such device. :cool:

The trespassers have a road that goes into the middle of the property from a subdivision to our front. This provide easy access. But its also a choke point they walk down so it is easy to set up the Trail Tracker to see what happens. If someone was walking in from the east or west I would have to cover 1500 feet of property line. I don't think I can afford that many Trail Trackers! :cool:

I think the razor wire would be a better solution on the long property lines! :cool:

Hope this helps.
Dan McCarty

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #16  
Pat, I'll be back at Lazy K Stables soon and can forward/e-mail/fax some of the specific mfgrs. names on the gizmos. The only reason I want to be accurate in giving you exact nomenclature is cuz
those specific items worked to a degree of reliability that lets me pass info on with confidence. We're talking about security, surveillance, and detection involving possible crime and response.
Just in passing, one easy message you can send to
n're-do-wells, blaggards, rapscallions, and tommyrotters is: "Don't think I can't nail your ---- if you aren't friend, but foe!"....Take a 'man profile' target, mount it on a light 1x2 or 2x2 stand-up frame. Get up close with your favorite scatter gun and blow out a meaningful portion of the profile. If you can afford it, at 'surgical accurate' range....group an obvious set of bullet holes excising a goodly part of the throat paper. Placing this subtle message in a location that leaves no doubt that you practice right off the front door step or out the kitchen window might easily make an interloper wonder, "Do I really want to take a chance? I don't think I want to make this guy's day!"
Try one of those NO TRESSPASSING....PROPERTY PROTECTED BY GUARD DOGS These 'welcome' signs have two slathering beasts printed on them. Use your imagination...I re-printed the words to read: "...PROTECTED BY AIDS INFECTED GUARD DOGS...REPLACED AS NECESSARY" A little red marker to outline the dogs muzzles and bingo---Welcome!
My wife didn't think it was such a good idea, given the fact that 10-15 customers per day would see this sign as they brought their expensive horses and riders on to the Lazy K Stables facility. Ok, my methods aren't for everybody.
A Lazy K customer, friend, and State Patrolman surveyed my set-up and told me I was headed in the right direction.

I've saved your e-mail address and will get back in about a month with precise info...I'm tdy in L.A. taking care of my Dad.

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #17  
Harv,
We deal with these issues inside too. We have lights that go on and off. We also have an area where the camera can see through a wire cage. It can sense pixel changes as people walk by on the other side of the cage.

Our options include adjusting the digital sensitivity, and "masking" area's where there is typically some expected movement.

So, In a outside application, I could "mask out" the area where a branch is, since I would expect the branch to sway in the breeze. Very slow actions, like the sun setting or rising do not affect the system. The flash of headlights, or a flashlight would though.

It is interesting technology. It does not need any sensors. The software simply sense any changes on a pixel. It greatly simplifies wiring, since you only need a power supply line and a coax video line going to the camera. No need for extra sensors and wiring.

With a 8Gig harddrive, we can capture about 50 hours of recording. If you consider someone walking past your barn, looking inside, and moving along might take only a minute or two, you could record for months with this thing before you have to clean up your old recordings. Remember, this system only records during a triggered event. After the trigger, or pixel variations end, the recording stops.

It is way cool stuff, and is so much easier to work with than the older elapsed time recordings.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #18  
RobertN,
From your description, it sounds like a well designed chunk of software. I assume (you didn't say) that it also puts a date/timestamp to any activity in pixel changes. Is this correct? By masking out, I also understand that you are creating a dead area that is non-responsive to movement. Seems to me, that could be introducing a fault in your protection, or is this 'distance' sensitive? (where it will detect movement inside the preset range of masking)

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #19  
RobertN -

You realize this whole technology is just the forerunner of things to come. Since the software is analyzing the pixels it's just a matter of time before we'll have the ability to not only detect movement, but determine what or or who caused the movement. Eventually it could even identify the individual in the picture (no joke -- this kind of stuff is already in development).

In fact, this reminds me of a project I was involved in nearly 20 years ago. The company I worked for made large-scale circuit board testers, and we were developing a large robot arm to do the actual handling of the boards. We installed a camera in the "palm" of its hand so it could "see" the next board on the conveyor belt. It could tell from its form factor what kind of board it was and therefore which test bed to place it on and which tests to run on it. After the test, depending on the results, it would then neatly place it in a storage rack or literally toss it into the reject pile.

It was breakthrough technology for its time 'cuz several production lines could toss finished boards on the same conveyor and the robots would make sure each was dealt with properly.

Oops! Does this belong in the "Boring Threads" category? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Security,TV Monitoring systems, and Trail Tracker #20  
Scruffy,
All this depends on $$$'s/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif . The board I posted about probably would be limited in this capacity. But, many can do a masked out area, or a area based sensitivity adjustment.

The system I use, and the one on that web page, both do a date/time stamp. Works out pretty handy

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif