Seeders Seeder advice

/ Seeder advice #11  
Dana, I can't feed seed corn through my 6' foot Landpride, are your cups different? It's not the cups actually but the steel funnel just above the diffuser bar thingy. The opening is not wide enough.

/ Seeder advice #12  
JD 4300 pulls it just fine. I have taken 1 row off and centered the other row in the middle of the tractor for 40" rows.

/ Seeder advice #13  
I can't feed seed corn through my 6' foot Landpride, are your cups different
See what happens when I talk about 2 things at once.
For corn I used the corn planter. and for grass seed I use my 48" landpride primary seeder.

/ Seeder advice
What do you think of the JD flexiplanter? Could it handle feed corn?

Rob

/ Seeder advice #15  
What do you think of the JD flexiplanter
I priced one last summer. I was told they were the same old style plates and they wanted $1250 with no tow bar. I tought it was too much $$ for what I was going to get. I'm sure they do a nice job. I wanted to up grade my old planter so I built one. I used a 1-row off of a JD 7000 planter and found a planter bone yard, got a transmision and 4' tool bar, international planter wheel assembly and a few hours later I was figureing out the tranny for seed population.

/ Seeder advice #16  
The JD 71 Flexi Planter worked great. I think it takes all the standard seed plates that the 7000 and 7100 models take - which is nice. But the manual lists all kinds of specialty plates. It is a big unit with a lot of weight so storage is kind of a pain. For a guy who has never planted anything mechanically, I had the stratightest 2 acres of silver queen I have seen. The planter units are easy to maintain and do follow the contour of the land very well. They are pricey and my guess is they were marketed (at least the 2R models) to research companies for small test plots. When I get to full capacity (7 acres) I know I will love it, but 2 acres is a little small for this unit. I would be glad to post pictures or give any more info if anybody is interested.

Eric

/ Seeder advice
Is it overkill for an acre or two of corn? Is there an attachment alternative that is smaller than the flexiplanter that would suffice? How big is it? It would be great if you could post a photo if it is not too mcuh trouble.

All the best (thanks for the info)

Rob

/ Seeder advice #18  
I think a 1 row 3pt planter is a nice compromise - I attached a picture from Sweet Tractor - see link earlier in thread or the earthway for hand planting. I will also take a pic of my Flexi.

Hope this helps - Eric

Attachments

• 5-109727-covington%20planter.jpg
    5-109727-covington%20planter.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 95
   / Seeder advice
Is this much smaller than the flexi? Is it easier or tougher to use and attach?

Thanks

Rob