seeder box on a disc?

/ seeder box on a disc? #11  
My Father in law had two different seeder setup mounted on discs.

The 1st was a normal grain drill seed box mounted on top a disc and drop the seed 1/2 way between the to disc gangs.

The 2nd was a Gandy air seeder mounted on a 28' disc. On this unit the seed tubes set to drop the seed by the rear disc blades.

He would use them to plant soybean right after harvesting winter wheat. It's kind of a minim till system.

With a smaller 3pt disc I'd bet it would be hard to get the depth of the seed consistent unless the ground was flat.

/ seeder box on a disc? #12  
My Father in law had two different seeder setup mounted on discs.

The 1st was a normal grain drill seed box mounted on top a disc and drop the seed 1/2 way between the to disc gangs.

The 2nd was a Gandy air seeder mounted on a 28' disc. On this unit the seed tubes set to drop the seed by the rear disc blades.

He would use them to plant soybean right after harvesting winter wheat. It's kind of a minim till system.

With a smaller 3pt disc I'd bet it would be hard to get the depth of the seed consistent unless the ground was flat.

How did that work? The 1 st one. I would be using for grass seed and maybe oates on flat land, sandy laom soil.

Last edited:
   / seeder box on a disc? #13  
How did that work? The 1 st one. I would be using for grass seed and maybe oates on flat land, sandy laom soil.

I only saw that setup a couple of times, but this is what I remember. The seed box was mounted on the disc but just behind the front disc gang. The ground drive for the seed box was a wheel mounted on the outside of the disc frame and a chain ran up to the seed box. I would assume that the drive was just a longer version of what the seed box had before it was mounted on top the disc. The seed box had longer drop tubes to ensure the seed didn't get blown around while it was dropping. This disc was about 18' wide it had little wings that folded up with spring assist before the seed box was mounted which prevented it from folding any more.

Thats all I recall of that setup.