Seeding Fescue

/ Seeding Fescue #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a field with fescue and other types of grass/weeds that I would like to have all fescue. Does this entire field need to be plowed under and start the fescue from scratch, or can I just overseed without preparing the soil? Thanks in advance...

/ Seeding Fescue #2  
Just seeding fescue won't kill off competing weeds. The mix of grasses in your field will lean more towards fescue, and maybe that's good enough for your purposes, but fescue isn't the sort of grass that will crowd out the competition.

/ Seeding Fescue #3  
I dont know if this helps but I fought a simmilar field at my place and ended up plowing / harrowing and seeded I did it in the fall so the weeds would not be competing with the new fescue...it turned out very nice.

/ Seeding Fescue #4  
Around here to plant fescue and have only fescue growing, I apply a nonselective herbicide to kill everything, give it a couple of weeks to do its job then plow and till the soil and seed. If you are further north, you may have a different process and different kinds of grass that compete with fescue. We have bermuda grass here as our primary lawn grass and it is extremely invasive. If you don't mind other grasses but want the weeds out you might want to just overseed. I overseed each fall to try to keep the fescue as thick as possible and that tends to keep the bermuda grass out. To overseed I rent an aerator, put the seed down then go over the yard with aerator so the dirt plugs will cover the seed when they melt down through the grass. It seems to work fairly well. I applied a weed killer this spring called TriMec 992 and I don't have a weed in my yard, yet. Seems to be really effective. This is one of my major interest areas so sorry if I got wordy.