Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #11  
So I take it we're not talking the 'precision cut' blocks when the truckie's going to dump them as opposed to using a hiab.

Which means that a wee chip here and there will add a rustic tone to the block. ;) That simplifies things.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks
So I take it we're not talking the 'precision cut' blocks when the truckie's going to dump them as opposed to using a hiab.

Which means that a wee chip here and there will add a rustic tone to the block. ;) That simplifies things.

Yeap we're looking at the b grade grade blocks.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #13  
I'm assuming these are old foundation type stone you are referring to, like out of an old house, barn, or even bridge back wall..?? If this is the case, each stone should have divots/dimples carved into them, to place a set of lifting tongs, similar to the stone clamp in the plans above. When those stone were originally cut, those dimples were also cut into them, for the purpose of lifting/setting, and nearly at the balancing point.

Any chance of getting with the contractor you're getting them from, and see if you can borrow a set..?? They are near the perfect tool to set them with, allowing you to move it any direction to get them aligned to set.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #14  
Just be careful with the slope. A large stone slipping off of the forks would be dangerous to say the least. Ed

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #15  
I moved several 24"x24"x48" concrete blocks for the same purpose a few months ago with my 110 using forks. The smaller blocks should not be a problem but leveling might be tedious. Prepare the bedding for the blocks well before you set them. I suggest using a plate compactor to get the bottom smooth and flat before hand, then add a thin layer of loose bedding material to cushion the block if needed. To reduce scratching the front face of the block use a piece of thick cardboard cut to the size of the block.

Moving down the slope you need to be careful and take your time. Tilt the forks back and barely clear the ground and any scratches should be on the bottom which won't affect any thing.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #16  
last wall be built we used straps around the blocks and boomed into place with the backhoe . if the blocks get big you can take the bucket off for more lifting capacity .

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #17  
I moved several 24"x24"x48" concrete blocks for the same purpose a few months ago with my 110 using forks. The smaller blocks should not be a problem but leveling might be tedious. Prepare the bedding for the blocks well before you set them. I suggest using a plate compactor to get the bottom smooth and flat before hand, then add a thin layer of loose bedding material to cushion the block if needed. To reduce scratching the front face of the block use a piece of thick cardboard cut to the size of the block.

Moving down the slope you need to be careful and take your time. Tilt the forks back and barely clear the ground and any scratches should be on the bottom which won't affect any thing.

This and, when going down-slope, reverse the entire tractor keeping the load up-slope, then slowly back down the slope. Any trouble = drop the load to brake & stabilise.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #18  
In that website you linked there's a picture of them positioning a block with an bypass grapple on an excavator. Seem like a light touch with your 4in1 would also work.
Apart from that I have used forks to precisely place 1000lb granite rock to build walls.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #19  
Those blocks weigh like half of what the loader is supposed to lift. If everything is functioning properly it shouldn't even notice they are there.

/ Seeking Help with moving sandstone blocks #20  
Have a small project of putting a single layer of sandstone blocks before a steep drop, about 25 stones. It will use either of these blocks. I 'm going to dig a shallow trench 8 inches deep fill with sand for a couple to make leveling easier.

16x16x40 inches 815 lb (400x400x1000mm 370 kg)
20x20x40 1278 lb (500x500x1000mm 580 kg)

I have a jd tlb 110 with 4 in bucket and thumb on the backhoe.

I'm a little concerned if I use the 4 in one bucket to grab stone with I will damage the edges.

I have some $$ in the kitty for tools maybe a grapple bucket. I think the backhoe will lift the smaller block but will struggle with the larger ones.

My better half of course likes the bigger blocks, and I am sure if this project is a success more blocks will turn up for other projects around the property

Thanks
Roy
I vote for a grapple. The Rake Shop can make what you need: www.TheRakeShop.com / Root Rakes Grapples Attachments & Skid Steers

Mine is a heavy Gorilla Grapple, but they have one that is similar or could copy this design.

Could also put rubber pads on the tines to protect the rock.

P7100013.JPG

P6140057.JPG

P5060032.JPG