Seized wheel YM 276D

/ Seized wheel YM 276D #1  

wesmann

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM 276D
Plowing heavy snow yesterday I heard a bang and the right rear tire seized. It will move a little. I'm hoping it's a brake problem...
Any advice before I dig into it appreciated.

/ Seized wheel YM 276D #2  
First let me say I know absolutely nothing about a Yanmar 276, but does that tractor have a differential lock, and was it engaged, or did you just engage it when a, or the right wheel start to spin..?? If so, I'd suspect something in the differential let loose, ie: broken gear(s) internally, or a piece of the differential broke lodging in between a final drive gearing causing the right axle to lock up.

/ Seized wheel YM 276D #4  
Thanks - 40 years old and zero problems till today.
I reckon' there is only one way to find out...

I have a 61 year old Wheel Horse 953 that was only made one year in '63. They did make a model 1054 the next year, but about the only difference was they increased the hp.

I got into garden tractor plowing last year and plowed at several events nearly all day long at all of them. The last one we were plowing in a very large field that had 4 different types of soil, one section was that black slabby ground that really made it pull. I was pretty proud of the old girl because I was pushing those guys with their high $$ diesels.

They were having problems pawing their way through the black ground and I was catching up, when all of a sudden I heard a pretty decent crack from the transmission, and it stopped in its tracks. Picture in the field is where she had pups... Checked for sheared keys in axles and input shaft pulley but all was fine. So loaded up and headed for home. Posted the symptoms of several Facebook WH pages and most said it was the bevel gear differential was the weak link. Finally tore into it last week and found one small main drive gear broken in half. Second picture is of the broken gear. Broke right at the keyway. Can't really complain for 61 years old, and who knows what it's been through in it's life. Luckily I found 3 used ones from one ebay vendor for $25 ea. Zoomed in on his pictures and chose the best looking one and bought it. Got it back together Wednesday, all but installing one seal I had to wait on until yesterday, and putting the input shaft pulley, and brake pulley back on. Will get back to that Sunday, or Monday. Life got in the way today, and tomorrow is a workday for the tractor club. Always something...

Attachments

• DSC01706.JPG
    DSC01706.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240321_162405_01 (1).jpg
    20240321_162405_01 (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17