Selecting a tractor for wet soil

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #1  

rlee6

Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
Which tractor works better in wet soil, light or heavy? Thanks.

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #2  
Light. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif With big tires. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #3  
The idea is to reduce the pounds Per Square Inch vs ground contact. Most effective way to do this is with as light of a tractor as possible with the largest footprint accomplished with turf tires

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #4  
I would also consider 4x4 on that list. It will be difficult to turn if you only have 2wd. It will add extra weight, but it should be managable with the right tires.

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would also consider 4x4 on that list. It will be difficult to turn if you only have 2wd. It will add extra weight, but it should be managable with the right tires. )</font>

consider mfwd? I'm not sure how 2 wd is even on the table! you need light weight and large tires (for me, light weight is 4700 pounds and 14.9 by 28 tires) My tractor actually does fine in muck. (JD 5105).

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #6  
I agree totally, just didnt see it mentioned... Just didnt put it so bluntly. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #7  
What type of soil do you have?

If it's clay type mud, than I've found tall, skinny tires work better than big ones. Large tires, though they have less psi on the ground, also cake up really bad and become giant balloons with no traction.

The larger the cleats on the tire also make a huge difference in mud. R1's cut right through it, while R4's tend to bog up and don't clean as well.

If you're on pasture with grass, than I agree with the wider tire theory of floating the tires across it.

Of course, there is not ideal situation or perfect way to get through mud. Usually the better the set up you have, the more stuck you will get!!!! Your two wheel drive family car never gets so stuck that you need to spend hours and hours using winches to get it unstuck, but with a 4X4 and lots of power, it's real easy to get into those situations. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know this from personal experience. The better I think I am at getting through something, the more likely I am to try it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The results aren't always pretty. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eddie

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #8  
Opinions I share....

I grew up on a farm. I have a small farm. I've slopped around in all sorts of mud with a 2WD tractor, with its skinny tires. Never had that much trouble personally.

Big tires can and will suck horsepower in sticky mud. If you're talking WET ground, they may help. If you're talking MUDDY ground, I'd stay with a narrower tire.

If you're talking SWAMPY ground, get a crawler.

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil #9  
I tend to disagree with the lighter tractor. I'll probably get a lot of flack for this...

My opinion...I think a heavier tractor with the right tires will pull out of mucky stuff a lot better than a lught tractor. If the ground is soft enough to sink into completely, then it doesn't matter...either one will disappear in the muck. But if not, and there is some ground below the muck, the heavier tractor will get traction and pull out of it whereas the lighter one will end up slipping.

I say this out of recent experience where I was hub high to a ferris wheel and crawled out. R1 tires.

Now if you're talking about leaving a lesser footprint on soft ground, then the lighter tractor would certainly be better.

/ Selecting a tractor for wet soil
I am in Florida where soil is mostly sandy. During the rainy season, ground becomes water saturated in low lying areas. I am not talking about foot-sinking muck, or below water level. I am not talking about official wetland, or river basin. Standing and walking is no problem.