Oil & Fuel Selecting your gear oil

/ Selecting your gear oil #1  

browns40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD3520
Hi All,

Finally got my password reset--lurking days are over 'til I get kicked out again... lo and behold 2 of my favorite sections: "attachments" and "oil & lubricants" seem to have disappeared, so apologies for posting the general question on the JD board...

So, it's time to get the fluids switched out & ready for a season's work... I went ahead and bought 5 gal. of NAPA 80W-90 to use in everything ... now some manuals call for it specifically, others call for selection based on ambient temperature, others call for a different weight all together...

What say you?

Not to start the age-old discussion/war on lubricants again, but what is your opinion? Would you run 80W-90 if the manual calls for 85W-140? would you run everything on 85W-140 to get the extra viscosity at temperature?

I ask because my dealer said "80W-90 in everything. Period."... this makes some sense to me using linear logic--lubrication is lubrication--the application is gears, temps in Maine are lucky to crack 90F let alone 110... yet the manual calls different...

What do you do, and why?

/ Selecting your gear oil #2  
Lubrication is not lubrication. :) Just like engine oils, hydraulic oils and other lubricants, viscosity is based on the application and operating temps. Use whatever viscosity is called for in the manual.

The safest thing to do is follow the manuals spec's. If it calls for a 85W/140 in your temp range then that is what I would use. If your operating temp range falls into the area where you can use either a 80W/90 or a 85W/140 then you could use the 80W/90.

/ Selecting your gear oil #3  
Whatcha mean -- the attachments and oil and lubricant forums are still there. (Where you takin' the name of Mobil 1 in vain....?)

/ Selecting your gear oil
Oops!

It IS there under general... and a topic beat around as much as hydro vs. gear, Kubota vs. Deere, etc...

Sorry 'bout the dead end thread!:eek: