Self Driving Car

/ Self Driving Car
Good points. The lawyers are probably salivating at the mere thought of these things causing a fatality! :judge:

/ Self Driving Car #12  
While a self driving car might seem to be a foolish idea, when you get right down to it would it be any less safe than a lot of drivers who are texting and doing everything behind the wheel except actually drive?

/ Self Driving Car #13  
I can't afford an Audi, much less a self-driving Audi.

/ Self Driving Car #14  
While a self driving car might seem to be a foolish idea, when you get right down to it would it be any less safe than a lot of drivers who are texting and doing everything behind the wheel except actually drive?

Or a repeat drunk driver, somebody who's been behind the wheel for 14 hrs.

/ Self Driving Car #15  
I have a friend that has been working on software for GM's self driving car program. For 10 years. He is frustrated, he wants to see it in production before he retires! He feels he has another 10 years to go, and he doesn't know if he will see it proved out.

/ Self Driving Car #16  
And I'll turn 75 within the month, still have no problem driving, but also have sense enough to know I can't see or drive as well as I could 35 years ago, and I'd love to have a self driving car if it really worked.

You are a unusual Bird! Most old guys that I know would rather die than admit that the can't drive.

/ Self Driving Car #17  

Exactly. Mixing human drivers with "robot" drivers is going to be a problem. Humans are very unpredictable compared to code. Think of how much the software could be simplified by removing the human element.

I could foresee dedicated roads/zones for self-driving vehicles. Sometimes you would travel on autopilot and sometimes you take the controls depending on where you are.

/ Self Driving Car #18  
Think of how much the software could be simplified by removing the human element.

I could foresee dedicated roads/zones for self-driving vehicles. Sometimes you would travel on autopilot and sometimes you take the controls depending on where you are.

eliminating the human element ? just a bit drastic, then no need for vehicles ....

dedicated zones = twice the infrastructure and 3 times the cost ...

/ Self Driving Car #19  
eliminating the human element ? just a bit drastic, then no need for vehicles ....

dedicated zones = twice the infrastructure and 3 times the cost ...

No, the humans are still in the vehicle, they just stop making decisions about driving.

Not more infrastructure, make better use of what is there. We have a lot of wasted road capacity due to it being poorly utilized--mostly by inept or anti-social human drivers.

/ Self Driving Car #20  
I cannot help but think that technology for driverless cars has evolved to compensate for women drivers. That's the argument I make to my wife, anyway. She sees it differently.

I wouldn't find much use for one, save for a long, boring highway trip. In fact, most of my commuting time would be spent getting around them. They would be seen as road obstacles in SE Pa.