Self-leveling loader availability

/ Self-leveling loader availability #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
After a few issues with my 2006 Kioti DK45, I've started thinking of getting a replacement. However, while my Kioti came with a self-leveling loader, the current offerings from most manufacturers don't seem to have that option. Does anybody make a tractor in the 40-70hp range with a self-leveling loader, factory cab and HST?

/ Self-leveling loader availability #2  
John Deere (M and R) 4 series has a self leveling loader option. Very nice machines, and priced accordingly.

I believe Kubota has a hydraulic self leveling option on some of their machines also, but not sure which models.

Last edited:
   / Self-leveling loader availability #4  
TYM

/ Self-leveling loader availability #5  
Auto level is a great feature, especially handy when loading. It lets you to return to the pile without digging almost automatically. Sure wish my Kubota had it.

/ Self-leveling loader availability #6  
The Kubota M59 has what Kubota calls a "self-leveling" loader. The term "self-leveling" is sort of a misnomer. It should be called "maintains same bucket curl angle". It does not go to level by itself, it simply makes the bucket stay at whatever curl angle that you put it at while the FEL loader lift arms go up and down. If the bucket was set at level, it stays level. You can change that bucket curl angle at any time during the lift by over-riding with the bucket tilt control and then the bucket will stay at the new angle. It forgets the previous setting

The feature is designed for use with pallet forks - where it is very valuable. You can pick up a 3000 lb pallet of shingles on the forks at ground level - and if you DO NOT hit the curl lever, the FEL arms will lift that pallet 12 feet into the air with the pallet stayng absolutely level the whole trip up and down. Great for roofing or cleaning gutters.

It is not much use for loading material, because the bucket doesn't change unless you override. So it can be level going up if that helps...usually not as you want it tilted more back.... but then when you dump the load the old level bucket position is history. Now it will maintain the dump angle as the lift arms are lowered. It doesn't go back to level as the lift arms go down.

John Deere yellow commercial equipment does have that feature where the bucket levels out after a dump as the arms go down -- it is an option at extra cost and JD calls it "return to dig" or something like that.

As I see it, there is no advantage to Kubota's "auto level" for loading... but huge advantage with pallet forks.

Hmmm.... I should say that there is one minor advantage to using "self or auto level" with a material bucket. It isn't a common use, but it exists because engaging auto level also reduces the maximum (and min) bucket curl. So if a bucket load is piled so high over the top of the bucket that at full height it might spill out backwards onto hood & operator, having self-leveling engaged gives some protection against that happening.

Bottom line is the Kubota "auto level" feature is necessary for pallet forks; not very useful for loader bucket work.

rScotty

/ Self-leveling loader availability #7  

Hmmm.... I should say that there is one minor advantage to using "self or auto level" with a material bucket. It isn't a common use, but it exists because engaging auto level also reduces the maximum (and min) bucket curl. So if a bucket load is piled so high over the top of the bucket that at full height it might spill out backwards onto hood & operator, having self-leveling engaged gives some protection against that happening.
That's not a minor advantage, that's an HUGE advantage and actually, an huge safety feature along with not really having to worry about doing two functions at the same time. Pretty much removes most of it out of the equation.

A self leveling loader prevents the operator from spilling the material with a bucket or a log with the forks on their lap when they're lifting the loader high. There have been loads of cases of this happening with people getting seriously injured or even killed and this is a big reason why self leveling loaders are becoming more and more standard on a lot of countries all over the world.

The self leveling loaders that use an hydraulic self leveling valve often lose position which makes for a weird experience and often only work when lifting. The ones that use either a parallel mechanical linkage or two feed back cylinders offer a lot better experience for the operator, plus it works both ways, lifting or lowering the loader.

/ Self-leveling loader availability #8  
That's not a minor advantage, that's an HUGE advantage and actually, an huge safety feature along with not really having to worry about doing two functions at the same time. Pretty much removes most of it out of the equation.

A self leveling loader prevents the operator from spilling the material with a bucket or a log with the forks on their lap when they're lifting the loader high. There have been loads of cases of this happening with people getting seriously injured or even killed and this is a big reason why self leveling loaders are becoming more and more standard on a lot of countries all over the world.

The self leveling loaders that use an hydraulic self leveling valve often lose position which makes for a weird experience and often only work when lifting. The ones that use either a parallel mechanical linkage or two feed back cylinders offer a lot better experience for the operator, plus it works both ways, lifting or lowering the loader.

I say minor because I'm not even sure that the reduction in bucket curl with the auto level engaged is an intensional feature. Looking at the system, the curl restriction could just as easiliy be an artifact of the way that their self leveling is designed. I've been in enough design reviews to recognize the "lets call it a feature" argument. FEL operation is always dangerous at max lift. An extended spill gard on a bucket or forks is a far simpler and better solution to the danger dumping a load backwards.

Kubota's Self Leveling works great for pallet forks, not so much for bucket work.
rScotty

/ Self-leveling loader availability
I can see how the term "self-leveling"might be ambiguous. I meant "maintains the same bucket angle", not "automatically returns to level". I've been really happy with my Kioti loader and was surprised to see how few CUTs have a self-leveling loader as an option. It is very handy to have, and a nice safety feature, too.

/ Self-leveling loader availability #10  
I can see how the term "self-leveling"might be ambiguous. I meant "maintains the same bucket angle", not "automatically returns to level". I've been really happy with my Kioti loader and was surprised to see how few CUTs have a self-leveling loader as an option. It is very handy to have, and a nice safety feature, too.
The way you think is exactly how everyone knows a self leveling loader. Just keeps the bucket in the same position from ground all the way up.

In Europe, it's pretty much a standard thing these days. I agree, really nice to have. If I were to build my loader again, I would most likely include the self leveling part of it.