Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #71  
Total scam.

/ Seller Beware #72  
I buy and sell all the time.
This is a scam.
I only accept cash regardless of the price, and even then I have a counterfeit pen to check the money. I have one now listed at 16,000 and it's cash only. With any check or credit card there's always the chance of something going wrong and then you're out the money and the tractor. If they can come up with a check, they can come up with cash.
Don't get anxious to sell it quick. That's the best way to get screwed. Take your time and wait for the right buyer to come along.
I don't normally do deposits either. I do hold stuff occasionally but only for a couple days. I've never had any problem selling anything without holding things. If they want it they'll come get it, without a deposit they'll come sooner.

/ Seller Beware #73  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
That's a variation of about the oldest online purchase scam there is....

/ Seller Beware #74  

The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Full name
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
Sounds 1000% SCAM!..Myself, Cash only, in person preference..I'm not shipping anything super big. I will ship small items once funds and shipping costs clears and vice versa. This is usually agreed upon when I buy tractor parts from friends online. I can wait. That equals honesty in my eyes.

/ Seller Beware #75  
100% SCAM!!! NO IF'S, NO OR'S, OR BUT'S... "NEVER" FALL FOR THIS ONE!!! IF YOU WANT TO SELL, AND THEY WANT TO BUY.. AND THEY TELL YOU THEY ARE SENDING SOMEONE OVER TO PICK UP THE GOODS, TELL THEM IN NO UNCERTAIN WORDS; "HAVE YOUR COURIER OR PICK UP PERSON BRING THE CASH AND PAY FOR IT, OR YOU WON'T GET IT"! NEVER TAKE A CHECK OF ANYKIND AND NEVER LET SOMEONE SEND SOMEONE TO PICK UP THE GOODS!!! SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! PASS THIS ONE TO EVERYONE, I GUARANTEE WITH OUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, ITS SCAM!!!!!!! AND, ANOTHER CLUE, "NO ONE PAYS OVER WHAT YOU ARE ASKING IN THE SALE!!! NO ONE!!!

/ Seller Beware #76  
I sold my 2 yr old tractor in 2021 to a local. Older Gentleman that even knew a few people that I knew.
He wrote me a check and I still waited for it to clear in 3 days before he came to get the tractor.

/ Seller Beware #77  
CASH AND CARRY BABY!!

/ Seller Beware #78  
Yeah, probably a scam.

You could try and get their "cashiers check" and actually deposit it (I would set up another account specifically for this). Once it clears (if it does), take out all of the funds. If you actually get the funds, then no problem..... they can come for the tractor.

Just don't give them any personal info, just public record stuff like address and phone number. Definitely no account numbers etc....
That's all good information there. After spending most of my adult life as a law enforcement officer, I'm pretty good at sniffing out scams. This smells like one.
Better you have a face to face meet with a guy who beats you out of a couple hundred bucks but hands you CASH!

/ Seller Beware #79  
Total scam. The folks I bought my truck from wanted cash because the week before they had some people show up and buy a 4-wheeler from them and these folks brought a cashiers check made out to the sellers and picked up the 4-wheeler (in Montana tractors and other offroad equipment isn't generally titled) and left with it. Seller went to cash it and was told it was fake and the bank wouldn't honor it. They tried to contact the scammer back and of course all the info they had given was fake and they have no idea who it was that stole it from them. They did file a police report but I doubt they will ever get their 4-wheeler back. It's a shame as they were a super nice older couple that was selling off their stuff that they are getting too old to make use of anymore as they were in declining health. I'd love to find those thieves that preyed on these older folks some day and take it out of their hide but it's probably just wishful thinking on my part that anyone will ever figure out who they were. I told my local bank what had happened and that the seller wanted cash for the truck so my banker gave me the financed amount in cash to take to them as there was no way they were going to be able to travel three hours north and pick it up themselves.

/ Seller Beware #80  

Full name
Your mobile number:
Last price:

MF
Its absolutely a scam. Period. I work in computer security and recognize this readily. Bottom line...somebody has to come get the tractor....let them pay you the money.