Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth?

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #11  
Your grandpa had the 8n (both brakes on the left side, opposite the clutch). Putting them on opposite sides was a dumb move that took 9 years to correct. Your buddies grandpa's was a 9n (1939-1941), or a 2n (1942-1947). There were negligible differences between the 9n and the 2n due to a diversion of engineering talent towards the war effort. The 8n brought some big upgrades, most notably the brakes, the addition of a fourth forward gear, "position" hydraulic control, and foot platforms.

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #12  
Your grandpa had the 8n (both brakes on the left side, opposite the clutch). Putting them on opposite sides was a dumb move that took 9 years to correct. Your buddies grandpa's was a 9n (1939-1941), or a 2n (1942-1947). There were negligible differences between the 9n and the 2n due to a diversion of engineering talent towards the war effort. The 8n brought some big upgrades, most notably the brakes, the addition of a fourth forward gear, "position" hydraulic control, and foot platforms.

Actually, the subtle differences between the 9N and 2N, along with the change in model designation were BECAUSE of the war. The government essentially froze prices due to the war. In order to raise prices, there had to be a model change. Some ever-so-slight changes were made, the model designation changed fron 9N to 2N, and the prices were adjusted upward. For all intents and purposes, the 2 models were essentially the same. Look back through the history of the John Deere model G and you'll see a simular event. Deere changed the model from G to GM ("G modified")in order to raise the price somewhat. Just a very few incidental changes to the tractors to validate the change in model designation.

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #13  
Actually, the subtle differences between the 9N and 2N, along with the change in model designation were BECAUSE of the war. The government essentially froze prices due to the war. In order to raise prices, there had to be a model change. Some ever-so-slight changes were made, the model designation changed fron 9N to 2N, and the prices were adjusted upward. For all intents and purposes, the 2 models were essentially the same. Look back through the history of the John Deere model G and you'll see a simular event. Deere changed the model from G to GM ("G modified")in order to raise the price somewhat. Just a very few incidental changes to the tractors to validate the change in model designation.

As far as my understanding goes, the 2n wasn't built to allow Ford to increase the prices, but more to conserve materials that were vital to the war effort; the 9n had electric start and rubber tires, the 2n had steel wheels and no electric start.

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #14  
material savings was merely a side benefit of the wartime price dodge....

soundguy

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #15  
some history about the N's

The Ford-Ferguson 9N tractor was very successful, but World War Two (1939-1945) made some materials and components difficult or very expensive to acquire. For those and other reasons, Ford was forced to produce a new model 2N, but the 2N was still basically the same as the 9N, and continued with the same 9N model numbers stamped on the engine blocks.

Henry Ford died in April 1947, at the age of 83. Soon after his death, the handshake agreement between Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson fell apart. Henry Ford II had taken over in 1945 and was not at all happy with the "handshake agreement". With nothing in writing, the Ford Motor Company had often been building tractors at a loss to be sold by Ferguson. So Henry Ford II decided to terminate the handshake agreement and build a new model 8N tractor that would be sold by Ford.

The Ford 8N was a refinement of the 9N and 2N tractors.

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #16  
that's the sugar coated history channel version :)

soundguy

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #18  
that's the sugar coated history channel version :)

soundguy

Are you saying there may have been just a little backstabbing and patent infringement involved? ;)

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #19  
i'm saying that even as much as I like ford and all.. that there was some sausage made in a back room when it comes to that 'end of deal' with HF :) maybee a lil on both sides even.. but something got smelly.. :)

soundguy

/ Selling Ford 8N (1940s) - what's it worth? #20  
I see this is an old thread, But looking at the first picture I would say it's an early 40's because it looks like it has the I beam radius arms. I'm just saying..