Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #31  
I'm wondering about my own drain field now. I put the system in myself over 20 years ago. The only assistance was when the tank delivery guy dropped the tank right into the hole I dug. Some of the trees that were way outside the 20' drip-line clearance area are much larger now. But I guess I'm fortunate that where I am all I'd have to do is rent a backhoe for a day, extend the tank-to-field pipe and move the field. I'd guess about $400 in materials with stone being the biggest expense; plus the tractor rental. No permits or inspections. God, I love this place. :)

My current field is a 40' x 40' closed H pattern and I've had as many as eight family members spending a long weekend and washing clothes. Never had a problem. (Knock on wood.)
Around here it is now a science...the "perk" test is gone and has been replaced by a soil core analysis with the septic installer and the county inspector on site to do it. We are now required to have the 3 chamber tank..."stuff" in chamber 1, clean liquid spills into chamber 2 that contains a filter into chamber 3 that contains the pump to send it to the field. The field itself is sized to the pump with the goal of ensuring the output gets dispersed equally through the entire field. I am always shocked at what I see other people have to pay for septic systems. Ours was installed in 2010 and sized for a 4 BR house (no "den"). It comes out of the house 9' below grade so the tank is much deeper than that. It goes out into an "H" field where the laterals are 100' long and 15' apart. The entire system (tank, risers, pump, pump alarm, drain field) cost $6,500.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #32  
The septic field was deemed to be inadequate in its ability to peculate the septic fluid, for a 4 bedroom house. It has worked fine for two occupants.

I need to meet with the county and see what their soil guy allows for a fix based on testing my lot. I hope to install a new field next to the old one, but only if the soil allows for it.

We've had a mild November - it was almost 60 degrees yesterday, so ground is not frozen. I recognize that time is of the essence.

Can't transfer the title without resolution of the septic issue per county law.

I agree. Right now the cost is totally up in the air. I wonder if I should cover the potential field with straw bales.

Time is of the essence in all purchase agreements.

By now you should have picked up the phone and called septic guys, and you should cover any ground you think will be disturbed by new work to prevent freezing.

Your representation should have already spoken to both you and your counter-party.

You need to move fast.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #33  
Around here it is now a science...the "perk" test is gone and has been replaced by a soil core analysis with the septic installer and the county inspector on site to do it. We are now required to have the 3 chamber tank..."stuff" in chamber 1, clean liquid spills into chamber 2 that contains a filter into chamber 3 that contains the pump to send it to the field. The field itself is sized to the pump with the goal of ensuring the output gets dispersed equally through the entire field. I am always shocked at what I see other people have to pay for septic systems. Ours was installed in 2010 and sized for a 4 BR house (no "den"). It comes out of the house 9' below grade so the tank is much deeper than that. It goes out into an "H" field where the laterals are 100' long and 15' apart. The entire system (tank, risers, pump, pump alarm, drain field) cost $6,500.

You must have septic installers who don't like making money. Just the dirt work for running lines 12+ ft deep and installing a tank around 20 ft deep would probably cost $6,500 with no materials.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #34  
You must have septic installers who don't like making money. Just the dirt work for running lines 12+ ft deep and installing a tank around 20 ft deep would probably cost $6,500 with no materials.

Our new system in 2011 was a total gravity system, no pumps or electronics. Total cost was around $5500.00. It is all about location and cost of living I would assume.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #35  
Neighbor sold last Summer, failed the septic inspection done by the County. They told me No. 1 cause of failure is polyester lint in laundry and powdered laundry detergent (full of clay). They dug a new pit and put in a switch valve to direct sewage to the new field while leaving the old field intact, just in case it can recover and be reused some day. Less than 8 years old. $12,000

Powdered laundry detergent is full of clay?! Also, what about non-polyester lint?

Another reason NOT to do laundry up at the cottage!

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #36  
My septic system installed in 2010 for a 3 bedroom house (3 bathrooms + 1 at my shop) cost me $6500. This included digging 150 feet of ditch and installing a water line to my shop and a 500 gallon septic tank there, running a grey water line 100 feet back to my house septic system with 1500 gallon septic tank and 4 each 100 foot field lines. With just the wife and I, we don't put out enough water to make the grass green up above even one of the field lines.

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #37  
My septic system installed in 2010 for a 3 bedroom house (3 bathrooms + 1 at my shop) cost me $6500. This included digging 150 feet of ditch and installing a water line to my shop and a 500 gallon septic tank there, running a grey water line 100 feet back to my house septic system with 1500 gallon septic tank and 4 each 100 foot field lines. With just the wife and I, we don't put out enough water to make the grass green up above even one of the field lines.

Wow, Gary, nice setup - and great price!👍

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #38  

20 feet deep?! The top of my tank is MAYBE 1 ft. below the surface - what gives with the 20 feet?

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #39  
20 feet deep?! The top of my tank is MAYBE 1 ft. below the surface - what gives with the 20 feet?
My lines are around 2ft deep and top of tanks is maybe 1ft or less like yours.
13 years ago my system install (2- 1000 gallon tanks, sand mound , pumps, Etc) total cost was around $13,000 if I remember right

/ Selling House and Failed Septic Inspection #40  

Actually, I see now that teejk's exit pipe is way down at 9' below grade (probably because he has a full basement with some plumbing down there?), which would put the tank down quite low. Not sure about the leeching bed, though. He may have an effluent pump tank like I do, in order to get the effluent up to a more reasonable level. In any case, there is no way I would dig my leeching bed ditches down to 12 ft, and a deep septic bed is not really recommended.