Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #31  
I know with the mulching units on the CTL's and dedicated mulching units they are required to have poly-carbonate doors and windows for safety. When you mention insurance do you mean for the equipment or for your health/death benefit if it throws debris through the cab glass that is not designed for the purpose. You might want to look at replacing the cab glass with 3/4 inch poly-carbonate. Not horribly expensive but not cheap either. Of course the alternative is even more expensive.

Kinda what I was getting at.

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #32  
Maybe I wasn't clear. I do have insurance. It does cover equipment. I also have insurance that covers my health. It also covers stupidity (to put it blunt).

As for protection. I will be working on this as time goes. Not sure I can answer this any better.

Not sure if I listed it here or in the several of the personal messages I've seen from people being helpful and inquisitive not just condescending, but I will be doing heavy brush and there will be a rental machine on site with protection for the larger stuff.

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #33  
Kinda what I was getting at.

Yes but I thought you were being a little too subtle so I made my post.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I do have insurance. It does cover equipment. I also have insurance that covers my health. It also covers stupidity (to put it blunt).

As for protection. I will be working on this as time goes. Not sure I can answer this any better.

Not sure if I listed it here or in the several of the personal messages I've seen from people being helpful and inquisitive not just condescending, but I will be doing heavy brush and there will be a rental machine on site with protection for the larger stuff.

I guess the intent of folks who have posted about protection is that people get killed by stuff from these mulchers. If I can't cut it with my Woods BB 720 Brushhog then I would not cut with anything that did not have the full poly-carbonate and steel cage around the cab. That is just me and how I view my life and well being.

I guess the first three things that everyone I know thinks about when mulching is:
1)Safety
2)Safety
3)Safety

My Fecon unit states very clearly on the warning labels no personnel within 300 feet. I put a $1000 dent in my truck's front from over 200 feet away. It measured 3 inches deep and that is steel not human flesh and bone.

Not being condescending at all just being factually concerned if something gets thrown into your cab glass. Don't know what type of glass you have on your cab but I can tell you the poly-carbonate safety glass is not standard on anything that I know of, it is always an add-on.

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #34  
Yes but I thought you were being a little too subtle so I made my post. I guess the intent of folks who have posted about protection is that people get killed by stuff from these mulchers. If I can't cut it with my Woods BB 720 Brushhog then I would not cut with anything that did not have the full poly-carbonate and steel cage around the cab. That is just me and how I view my life and well being. I guess the first three things that everyone I know thinks about when mulching is: 1)Safety 2)Safety 3)Safety My Fecon unit states very clearly on the warning labels no personnel within 300 feet. I put a $1000 dent in my truck's front from over 200 feet away. It measured 3 inches deep and that is steel not human flesh and bone. Not being condescending at all just being factually concerned if something gets thrown into your cab glass. Don't know what type of glass you have on your cab but I can tell you the poly-carbonate safety glass is not standard on anything that I know of, it is always an add-on.

I understand, but you were putting the cart before the horse. I need to get the machine and know I'm getting it prior to making it bullet proof. Also, there is a difference between the lift height of a 3pt and a CTL. I won't be lifting my three point up to 8' subjecting myself to such debris. Plus I'll be going into much slimmer brush/saplings as this will be light duty mulching. Now I definitely don't know it all by any means. Shoot I don't have a mulcher and haven't been around them. With this said, tractors are dangerous and I will take a cautious learning curve to it. But, Brush hogs are one of the most as it's such a violent act essentially clubbing down items and chucking wood and rocks scattering it. Brushhogs are no joke and shouldn't be belittled or disrespected. I am huge on safety and I am glad you are too.

Now I am not ignorant to the fact it is dangerous and will be making attempts to protect the cab (and mainly myself).

Now the rear of the unit is narrower then the rear of the tractor making the windshield and doors "less" of a factor (but not completely free of danger).

The lower glass is my main concern and I was debating lexan, the combination of lexan and expanded metal or just blocking it off with a piece of steel. I've been searching the Internet as for help and previous designs on guys protecting there cabs.

So the search is on for protecting my cab. (If anyone has honest suggestions, hints or examples, please share).

Let's please move on now in a positive in a proactive manner.

examples, please chime in).

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #35  
Ok,

Has anyone heard of Tractor Guard.

I received a quote $485 for the rear window $80 for the bottom glass $220 for each rear rounded window. These are Polycarbonate/lexan covers the the glass. It doesn't replace the glass but is essentially bungee corded on and suction cups.

Honest thoughts please.

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #36  
Looks intriguing but .................
their web site is very short on details on the product other than they are attached by cups and bungees. May be more info available out their but a quick search and looking at their web site Tractor Guard - Window protection you can trust was very short on details.

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #37  
Guessing you are running a kubota from your profile pictyre. But if for some reason it is a deere, GR makes some great stuff. I ran thier guard package on my 333d skid steer when I had it. If not they do have plenty of pics to give you some ideas at least.

Agricultural Tractor Products

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #38  
Looks intriguing but ................. their web site is very short on details on the product other than they are attached by cups and bungees. May be more info available out their but a quick search and looking at their web site Tractor Guard - Window protection you can trust was very short on details.

You are very correct. Info is limited and I am skeptical on suction cups and bungee cords. Just saying it makes it sound like an insecure attachment. Now I know all suction cups aren't created equal, but it still makes me want to know more. It appears the company is newer (couple years at best). When I talked to the man he made is sound about 4 years in the making which is a bit new. New doesn't necessarily mean bad just inexperienced to a degree.

What I did like was the prompt response I received from the company. I also like its a great step forward as appose to me making something myself. It's removable for when it's not needed and it keeps the windows functional. So there are good pros, I am just curious how much this attachment with shake my machine and if it will cause this protection to rattle off or slide around.

Any other companies seen out there?

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #39  
Looks intriguing but ................. their web site is very short on details on the product other than they are attached by cups and bungees. May be more info available out their but a quick search and looking at their web site Tractor Guard - Window protection you can trust was very short on details.

You are very correct. Info is limited and I am skeptical on suction cups and bungee cords. Just saying it makes it sound like an insecure attachment. Now I know all suction cups aren't created equal, but it still makes me want to know more. It appears the company is newer (couple years at best). When I talked to the man he made is sound about 4 years in the making which is a bit new. New doesn't necessarily mean bad just inexperienced to a degree.

What I did like was the prompt response I received from the company. I also like its a great step forward as appose to me making something myself. It's removable for when it's not needed and it keeps the windows functional. So there are good pros, I am just curious how much this attachment with shake my machine and if it will cause this protection to rattle off or slide around.

Any other companies seen out there?

/ Seppi 200 Miniforest PTO driven forest mulcher #40  
Not knowing the shape and flair of your windows on the rear of the cab but have you gone down and looked at putting in poly-carbonate replacement? It may very well not be possible or not be viable cost wise but I would at least investigate it especially if the rear glass is flat with no flared edges. It would be a one time cost (hopefully) and would not have to be installed/uninstalled each time.

I would expect some vibration but not too severe but I am not familiar with the FAE you got. My head is on a 12K unit thus there is a lot of mass to try to vibrate.

When I was looking at a CTL for my Fecon I was talking to the different manufacturers and Kubota (I did not buy their unit) had a safety forestry factory door that was outrageous. The dealer said that most folks went down to the local supplier and just bought the Lexan and bolted it in at less than a $1000. I did buy the ASV and the door is a flat piece and they told me that it is more cost effective to buy Lexan/poly-carbonate and use it over the factory overpriced Lexan. Cut it to shape and bolt it in. The design is good because there is no flair to the edges which really ups the cost. That is why I addressed the issue if you had flared rear glass because it might get really costly.

See if you can find someone that has the Tractor guard unit. Ask the supplier who they have sold it to and contact them directly. Ask for several names. If they are not willing to supply names then I would walk away from it.