septic field frozen

/ septic field frozen #71  
OK, they actually installed the system so that the poly should self drain. That's good but unless there is a good slope back to the tank it will never empty dry.
Poly comes in coils and it is virtually impossible to lay it perfectly flat. With that 1 1/4" poly it only needs a 1 1/4" dip over the entire run to trap some water.
Poly is shipped in about 3' coils so one coil is +/- 10' long. I defy anyone to uncoil 10' and get a perfectly flat/straight length. Your pics suggested a very low slope between tank and field so I suspect the drain back angle to be slight and the slightest dip in the line would trap water.

All the theories being discussed, effluent generally does not freeze but pure water will.
Are you sure that there is not an excessive amount of pure water entering the field?
Like a leaking toilet float valve? Automatic ice maker?

(don't laugh, my daughter's tank froze up simply due to that. They pumped late fall so there was a lack of bacterial action to heat up the effluent and as a result system froze up. Oh and they had a leaking toilet valve thus mostly pure water in the tank)

LOL, shower less, poop more.

Septic systems are generally sized based on number of bedrooms and that can be a mistake as bigger then requires more bacterial action to be effective. Bacteria will be more active in a contained area and certainly diluted in a huge container.
Oldtimers always suggested dumping macerated pork liver to activate the bacteria in a tank.

I feel for you as I have lived with your type problems either personally or via clients dilemmas.

/ septic field frozen
I do not have automatic ice maker, I do not think the toilet leaks as i do not hear it "re charge" unless the toilet is flushed.

Do you think/agree with my #70 post? or do you think i still have an issue in the mainline?

I think we can agree my main issue is not enough water usage in the house therefore not causing the pump to cycle enough and not enough poop.

/ septic field frozen #73  
Sorry I had missed fact that you could inspect the field and confirmed it also frozen.
I do stick with the poly not being able to be laid out perfectly flat due to the nature of the product.

Going back to basics, effluent from a properly operating septic should never freeze.
My field is barely 12" deep but covered with snow and I also pump from the tank uphill 16ft to the field.
20 years operating with no problems. When I open the tank for service PHEW, man it is working. (by law we pump every 2 years) My tank and pumping station are under my driveway that is plowed all winter and Jan & Feb were always -20deg or colder this year.(even -10 every night last 2 weeks)

Back to basics. Sounds like maybe you don't have any bacteria in that tank that would create heat just by the nature of the beast.
Chop up some pork liver and get the bugs working.

Hey, never use Javex, Clorox or any toilet cleaning disinfectant products.* They all contain chlorine which kills all the bugs that promote good septic action.

Could that be your problem? Wife a 'clean freak'?

While I never tried it, they claim that you can kill a septic system with a gallon of Javex.

* that goes for the bricks that you hang in the bowl or tank as well.

/ septic field frozen #74  
I'll agree with the latest theories. Can't suggest a solution other than having a group of politicians over.

/ septic field frozen #75  
Limited amount of bleach will not harm your system but throwing old pills down the toilet will kill the enzymes
that break down the action. The only thing in the tank that breaks down the solids comes from your stomach
anything else is an old wives tail. As for why your field froze ?? I've heard of it before but never seen it happen. Washing clothes in cold water is also not recommended with a septic system. It may be possible that your pump is cycling to often for the size of the field. I've never heard of one set up to pump from a 2 compartment tank generally there's a 2 compartment tank then a 500 gal. pump chamber. Reason for the 500 gal. chamber is so you have a 3 day retention in case of a pump failure. The dosing 100 gal. or more is determined by the size of the fields hydraulic loading rate which in your case should be plenty large enough for 200 gal. doses.

/ septic field frozen #76  
The surrounding land is getting saturated, freezind and creating a dam. Trapped water then feezes in the DF . I would trench and drain the surrounding land, if grade permits.. If not then build a "dry well" to recieve the excess water. The most common reason for this problem is an inadequate Perc rate in the field laterals (Soil not porous enough) or water table is too high under the field.

/ septic field frozen #78  
Soft water requires salt..salt is antibacteeriologic, ergo if you run a salt-type water softener backwash into your septic tank, you kill the heat producing bacteria. (and get your DF laterals plugged.) Salt backwash must NOT go into the septic system! Dig a 4'x6' drywell for that purpose. Line it with field stones. Pump the bacKwash there. Bingo, bob's your uncle. :thumbsup:

/ septic field frozen #79  
According to the literature I have the only reasons for freezing they state is foot or other traffic over field or improper installation. The dose rate may be far less than I stated the HLR should be in the neighbor hood of .45 to .65 gal. per sq. ft. per day. So the size of the field is the determining factor.