Series 2000 LT quit while mowing won't restart

/ Series 2000 LT quit while mowing won't restart #1  

JohninCT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE
Subject is a LT 2180 lawn tractor. While mowing along yesterday, the engine suddenly stopped. Turned off the mower PTO, pressed on the brake and tried to restart but nothing. It won't crank, nothing. The only thing that I can think of that will stop the engine while it is running and mowing is the seat switch or turning off the ignition key. I jumpered the seat switch but no change.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

/ Series 2000 LT quit while mowing won't restart #2  
gotta have fuel/spark/air to run.. what's missing? also ck main fuze - may be blown.

/ Series 2000 LT quit while mowing won't restart #3  
Look closer at that PTO switch, if you are not even cranking the only things I can think of are the seat and PTO switch. You are getting headlights and the idiot lights on the dash when you turn the key ?

/ Series 2000 LT quit while mowing won't restart
Got the problem fixed. Voltage regulator was bad. What was weird though was that when I first started to troubleshoot I measured the battery voltage at 11.7 V so I figured it that was OK. I was not getting any voltage to the starter solenoid when the key was turned to start position. I was convinced that it must have been a safety switch causing the problem. Checked seat switch, brake switch, and PTO switch all OK. Checked ignition switch OK. Kind of frustrated I decided for giggles to hook up a jump start battery pack and it started. Put everything back together and with engine running I measured about 14.5 V at battery so I figured charging system working OK. Weekend comes and I jump start it to mow and engine quits again after just a few minutes. Jump start it again and begin to mow... a few mins later the PTO stops and won't go back on but engine running. Pull out the meter and voltage at battery about 7V then 5V. Hook up jump battery and PTO works OK. Check alternator output OK (thank goodness! I didn't want to take everything apart to get at that sucker!). Found no output at voltage reg. Replaced it and she's working like new again. Some strange indications but I'm not going to argue with the results :)