Service Bush Hog and Mower Upside Down?

/ Service Bush Hog and Mower Upside Down? #1  

rwinter

Tractor
JD 4720
My neighbor lost his brother when a 1600 lb bush hog came down on him when he was working underneath it.

I could do a variety of things, but I am thinking the easiest way to service both my bush hog and my 8 foot finishing mower (sharpen blades, check under deck for corrosion, etc.) would be to block the wheels and then lift the other side up and carefully set down with my loader. This would make the unit upside down. Could any harm come from this (oil in the gearbox problems, etc.)?

Any other ideas that are failsafe?--I could also raise up one side and chain to a large tree.

/ Service Bush Hog and Mower Upside Down? #2  
I use a set of forklifts/FEL to work on the rotary cutters. The forks are tilted all the way back so it is more vertical than horizontal. No working under it that way.

Before the forks, the bucket was used with the 3-point frame on the implement. A short chain (with a hook welded on the bucket) was attached to the bucket and to the top link attach point.

Then when the bucket was curled the lower edge caught the lower portion of the 3-point frame. The cutter was tilted enough to not have to work under it.

/ Service Bush Hog and Mower Upside Down? #3  
I shorten the top link so it brings the rear end up and then block the front end with cribbing. That could be wood and/or cement blocks. It can not drop and is easier than flipping. All this while it's still attached to the tractor. Sometimes I have even added a 4x4 post under the back end.

/ Service Bush Hog and Mower Upside Down? #4  
I could also raise up one side and chain to a large tree.

That's what I have done...just make sure you lean it against the tree so there's no possibility of it falling toward you.

/ Service Bush Hog and Mower Upside Down? #5  
I pick mine up on the 3P and then block it all around. I will release the pressure to make sure it's not going anywhere.

/ Service Bush Hog and Mower Upside Down? #6  
I did this the other day to service mine. Felt very secure and comfortable working next to it (not under it).

Double chained around the loader bucket, picked up to straight vertical, then brought the bucket down on it. I made sure to kick it hard a few times to ensure it wasn't going to budge.

photo-24.jpg