Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day!

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
Did some maintenance on my BX yesterday. Changed the fluids, no big deal right. I had the parts, read the manual (OK, probably not as good as I should have, when looking at the pics!), it was a nice day, and good to go!

Crawled under looking for the transmission drain plug. I knew it was on the filter side, great. Promptly removed the filter bypass spring plug. UGHHHHHHHHHH! As I removed the spring, the ball fell out, did a coupla circles around my catch pan, and promptly fell through the hole into a quart of old motor oil.

So my first mess was opening the pan can, and dumping the old oil over my hand to catch the ball. SUCCESS. Replaced the filter bypass ball, spring, and plug; Then cleaned my hands, and referred to the manual to see where the drain plug ACTUALLY was located. Good.

Removed the transmission screen to check for debris. HAPPY to see that it only contained a few shavings. As I moved to the garage to clean the debris off with solvent, I ran my oily finger around the screen, and promptly stuck myself with a piece of small mesh wire that was hanging out. OUCH. Fortunately, it bled a lot, which made me feel better about dipping my hand in solvent to remove the oil...................

By now I had most of my tools coated in a layer of oil, making them very fun to operate. Next time, I think I'll skip to step two and just coat them well before I even start working!

Rest of the operation went well and the Bota is now happy with new fluids and filters. The tools are cleaned and my finger only hurts when I type a "d" OUCH!

Hope your maintenance goes better than mine and you get a chuckle from my mis-adventures................

Have fun,
Ron

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #2  
By getting dirty doing PMing means your getting better feel for the equipment...maybe that's why I have pile of rags and speedy dry handy. EEK!

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #3  
I wasn't quite so lucky on my 600 hr service :(
I use one of those small plastic oil drain tubs that fits under the rear end. USUALLY, I drain some hydro oil to fill the tub then replace the drain plug, then dump the tub in a large waste oil container, and repeat till done. Upon the first fill of the little tub, the plug squirted out from between my oily fingers and, you guessed it, fell right into the little tub ... through the hole that I thought for sure was too small for the plug. Being alone, as usual, I spied all sorts of usuable things to plug the leak, that were several feet out of reach because my finger was stuck in the BX's butt. I knew no matter what, this was going to be a mess so I just pulled my finger out, got up, cleaned up and went to the store for a 50# bag of kitty litter stuff without even looking back. 4' x 8' oil slick when I got back. The day didn't get worse, but did continue to degrade. I drained all the motor oil into an open pan which I accidently stepped on the corner of and dumped it ... in a otherwise dry location. Then not paying attention to the back side of another container I was draining the front axle into, I added another couple quarts to the original spill.
I don't recall any blood that day but I expect there was some as not a day goes by that I don't get banged up some how.
Hopefully we'll do better next time :cool:

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #4  
After dropping numerous oil plugs into the drain pan, my old man keeps a magnet handy. It is one of those telescoping ones. Stick it down in the oil and presto you hook your oil plug. After fishing for oil plugs with his hand he wised up but I think it was the hot oil that helped him:)

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #5  
Ok, I don't feel so bad now about forgetting one of the filters! Thanks, guys.

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #6  
My 100 hour service was uneventful, unlike my 50 hour service.

For some reason, the dealer sold me fuel filters for the 50 hour service, although they weren't called for. Since they were cheap and since I had them anyway, I decided to go ahead and change them. Under the tractor I go, pop off a filter and fuel starts running EVERYWHERE. The manual said nothing about that. I think it would have drained the tank if I had let her go. Eventually, the Lord thought I was soaked with enough diesel fuel that he let me get the new filter installed and the leaking stopped.

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #7  
Billy_S said:
Eventually, the Lord thought I was soaked with enough diesel fuel that he let me get the new filter installed and the leaking stopped.

You must have smelled really bad :D
Bob

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #8  
I think a lotta people here can relate.

Did my BX23 300 hour last weekend. All routine (same as 50 hr) except for the fuel filters. Man, those things are installed by munchkins. I clamped the tank line just fine, but enough fuel runs out of the filters and connecting hoses to form a puddle under your head. Unless you're smart and have a big rag handy. I'm getting smarter.

My wife complained about my hair smelling like diesel for two days. :(

Dandruff cleared up nicely though :)

RDnT

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #9  
All of us have had those experiences in one form or another. Some of us even have had worse ones but we'll not mention those!:D

Rubber gloves, rags, proper receptales for draining fluid, rags, sawdust and funnels are always handy for draining oil. Oh, did I mention rags and buckets?

Also remember to fill all buckets to the brim. This makes them much easier to carry away.

And do not forget to sit on the seat and handle all the controls with oil soaked clothes on! :D :D This exspecially applies to vehicles!

/ Servicing your Bota--or your chuckle for the day! #10  
Thanks for sharing all of these stories. We all have our off days. After being unable to complete my 50 hour service (due to drain plug being stripped), I felt robbed of the opportunity to do it (had to send it in to dealer to remove and replace drain plug). Now, I am thinking maybe it was a lucky break. :)