Setting beads on tubless tires

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #12  
BJR has it right with the cheata. Check Harbor Freight. I got the large one.

Pan

/ Setting beads on tubless tires
Thanks all for the info. Removing the valve stem makes a lot of sense. The pyrotechnic (starting fluid) thing makes me nervous. Of course, paying attention to the tire pressure in the first place would have eliminated the problem in the first place. Shame on Me.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #14  
I wouldnt use starting fluid unless you have done it before or witnessed it before. But it certainly isnt something a rookie should try. And if you do, make sure the valve stem is out.

All good advise given so far. Ratchet straps, hammer, take the core out to allow faster air delivery, soap, etc.

But if it is that frustrating, just put tubes in the tires and be done.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #15  
I'd never heard of the starting fluid method, but it sure looks interesting. Watching the Youtube video and some of the other linked ones, the first one only showed a small shot of ether being used but another one showed a whole lot more and they both worked. One thing that concerns me is the effect of the ether on rubber, but I guess it's been used for generations in rubber intakes for starting engines.

Personally, I've used a rope, tightened like a tourniquet using a tire iron. Also, when you air the tire, remove the valve core to allow maximum flow of air into the tire. Tire shops with high capacity compressors do it that way all the time, but your home compressor may not have enough CFM. But removing the valve core still makes a lot of difference.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #16  
BJR has it right with the cheata. Check Harbor Freight. I got the large one.

Pan

I don't find anything on Harbor Freight's website.:confused3: I've used the ratchet strap myself, and saw one of the bead cheaters used at a tire dealership a few months ago for the first time. But the ones I've seen on the Internet are pretty expensive.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #17  
A recent episode of Ice Road Truckers had one of the drivers use the starting fluid method because he had to fix the tire while still on the truck out in the middle of nowhere ... it worked.

I have used the ratchet strap and it has never failed me. I have used a rope on a car tire, but I found that I couldn't get it to work on the much tougher tractor tire ... but the ratchet strap pulls the tire in quite well. Just be careful releasing it because with the added air pressure, the strap is very tight when you go to remove it.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #18  
I watched 2 guys trying to seat a tire with starting fluid... one ended up in the hospital. Beer was involved.

I have done it myself... without the beer. Kids were watching. I made them stand WAY back. Scared the he11 outta me... took 6-7 trys to get the amount of starting fluid/lighting method down... don't recomend doing it.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #19  
I don't find anything on Harbor Freight's website.:confused3: I've used the ratchet strap myself, and saw one of the bead cheaters used at a tire dealership a few months ago for the first time. But the ones I've seen on the Internet are pretty expensive.

I must have gotten it off of ebay. This TSI Cheetah Bead Seater — Commercial-Quality, Model# CH-005 | Bead Breakers| Northern Tool + Equipment what they look like You can beat Northerns price. I bought mine after I had to take a truck tire to the tire shop just to get it aired up.

Pan

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #20  
I thought everybody used starting fluid. I've used it for yrs.I guess I'm lucky.I'm still here