Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog
I use check chains (similar to djrazd's setup), but that seems to only affect the front height. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I need to adjust the dogbone??

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #12  
Thanks for the picture. Sure is worth a "thousand words". I have read numerous threads where people have referred to check chains and just could not picture it in my mind. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( use check chains (similar to djrazd's setup), but that seems to only affect the front height. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe I need to adjust the dogbone?? )</font>

The check chains are for the front height.. the top link won't effect front height much.. except that if you have it too long.. you won't be able to lower as far.. and the back of the implement will be pushed down.. too short and the rear is off the ground.

Youve already stated that your rear wheel is not adjustable the way it is currently setup. As it is you can now ONLY adjust front height.. I'm not sure what you are asking.. if you are asking how to adjust rear of the mower height.. then it should be obvious as another poster stated.. that you need to modify your tail wheel to be adjustable again.

Soundguy

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #14  
Yeh, the chains only affect the front. The dogbone is the key to it. Some throw the toplink away and put a chain in. Not sure that's for me yet so I just extend the top link most all the way for doing hogging on rough and rolling land (not steep transitions). Going from flat to a severe downgrade or upgrade would require a different adjustment though cuz it'll shove the dogbone thru the a-frame, jamming the entire affair and stand the hog on it's nose ... which I found to be rather annoying.

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ... which I found to be rather annoying. )</font>

Annoying OK.... Like a bullet to the temple.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #16  
Concerning the top link on when using a brushog,,,,,,there are only two possible uses for it,,,to let you pick up mower and to stop mower from flipping when it catches on something,,,,,I use a length of chain instead of top link,,it lets mower rear float up and down with conture of ground,,and you can still pick rear off ground,, secondly,,,unless you are mowing in a place with stumps and such that MAYBE front could catch on and thus flip,,that danger doesn't exsist,,,you would have to be going fast and paying no attention to have that happen,,,[I bet nobody has seen it],,,thats the only two uses I can think of for using top link when brushoging,,,it works better not using it for the reason above,,it allows rear to float,,,,,the front height is obtained by the lift arms,the rear height is obtained from rear wheel or wheels,,,its as simple as that,,,,you don't need a top link OR a chain to cut with,,,try it,,you won't be able to lift rear,thats all,,it will than be a pull type mower not a three point mower,,,,,,,,,now as far as those front check chains,,,yeah,good idea IF three point leaks down,,,,if it doesn't seems a waste of money and time to me,,,,my cheap ole chinese jinma has a postion control and has not leaked down in three years now,,brush hog is on the back of it now,,and it will be in same spot,[I bet],a month from now,,,,,you would think most others would be the same???I'm talking newer big three or four brands,[like in that picture],,the lifts are made to hold not leak down or break,,just cause you are holding the FRONT of a brushog up,,if it can't,,than its broken or something,,,,thingy

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Concerning the top link on when using a brushog,,,,,,)</font>

Now THAT makes perfect sense. I've been straining my 3 brain cells for months trying to figure out how check chains could help.

I like chains. I use them wherever I can.

I've already replaced some giant heavy bars on my brush hog's "A" frame with chains. I think it saved close to 25 pounds, a lot of noise, and helped reduce scalping and gouging a little bit. I am considering replacing the top link with a nice little chain that I can swap out quickly as I change implements.

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Concerning the top link on when using a brushog,,,,,,there are only two possible uses for it )</font>

You are leaving out the '3rd' very important use for the toplink.. and this applies for the brushhog as well... The rigid toplink helps stall a backflip.

Most toplink connections nowadays either hav a slot our a floating 'U' shaped piece to give the front of the mower a few inches of 'give' for terain changes.

Soundguy

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #19  
A backflip???????If you mean a forward type flip,[front catching on something[maybe],and before you know whats going on,,,[doubtfull at best],rear going over front towards tractor,,[uh,uh],,,,,I mentioned that,,,,but a backflip???anyways I use a chain for top link,,it ain't going to backflip,,,,,now,,how could you backflip one????thingy

/ Setting Rear Height on Brush Hog #20  
Oh,,I get it,,TRACTOR BACKFLIPING,,,,,,yeah could see how it might help there,,,BUT,,,,,thought about that,,,I got some hills,,,places aproaching close to 45 degrees,[no lie],,,now when you top some of these areas,or are on some of these areas and go over ground that does this......the rear of brushog comes off ground with rigid top link,,,,so maybe in the steepest part of climb,you went from carrying half of brush hog weight to all of it,,,,now that COULD make front end come up alright,,,,,so,,figured it would be better to carry half the weight all the time up the hill,,than half the weight part of the time and all the weight at maybe the worst time,,and the half you are carrying is close to tractor the tail wheel is carrying that part thats six foot back,,,,you got to really go over a big hump for rear to come off ground with the chain as top link,,,you can set it to any length you want,,,I got a good bit of slack in mine,,,but can still pick rear up maybe close to a foot on level ground,those swivel things that come with them arebetter than nothing but not much,,tried them in every possible way,,,,till I tried the chain,,,,,,,and unless you are mowing on a lot of hilly strange to you ground,,,you shouldn't be going anywhere where a backflip might happen anyways,,,,I don't have a fel on my jinma,,but put over 200 lbs of extra weight on front by using a 3/4 allthread rod with weight lifting weights and ran them through slot in factory weights,,so I now have well over 300 lbs,close to 400 I reckon on front end,might not of had to but I did,,front has never came up,,,and like I said,,I got some very steep hills here in w.va.,[got a couple flat spots too],,,,thingy