SG Rated Oil for John Deere Diesels?

/ SG Rated Oil for John Deere Diesels? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was looking at the owners manual for the John Deere 2210, which is viewable online on JD's website. I was surprised to see that SG grade or better oil was recommended for this tractor. I thought SG grade was for gasoline engines. Out of curiosity, I looked at the other online manuals and found the same recommendation for all of the JD diesel tractors up to the 48 HP model 4710. Is this really true or is it a mistake? Does anyone have a hard copy manual for one the tractors in this range and can verify this?

/ SG Rated Oil for John Deere Diesels? #2  
I have the JD manual for 4110 &4115 models and it states "API Service Classification SG or higher" /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

/ SG Rated Oil for John Deere Diesels? #3  
All of the 4XXX series use Yanmar engines and my 790 is a Yanmar in entirety. Not sure about the 2210 but it would seem to be Yanmar as well (engine). The 790 manual calls for 15W-40 CF-4 or higher, 5W-30 CC or higher, 10W-30 CF or higher, or 30W CF or higher. I just use the JD Plus 50 (15W40) and not worry about it. If I were running a fleet I might look for cheaper oil, but in one tractor it's not a big deal /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ SG Rated Oil for John Deere Diesels? #4  
There has been discussion in this forum of traditionally diesel motor oil being also recommended for gas engine use. For example, one or another version of Shell's Rotella. While S- oil is normally for gasoline and C- is normally for diesel, I don't know if that general distinction always holds true.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://Bobistheoilguy.com>http://Bobistheoilguy.com</A> may have the answer lurking somewhere, but I haven't been inclined to dig too deeply at that website yet.

What I would like to see is a chart showing what additive A and B....and G does to the S- or C- oils. In other words, what does SG do that SF doesn't?

Somehow, I get the feeling that the additive progression in the S series and C series oils is developing independently. ie, Is the "G" additive in SG oil the same one used in CG oil?

This all probably isn't too difficult, but I've never seen an explaniation.

OkieG

/ SG Rated Oil for John Deere Diesels? #5  
At the bobistheoilguy.com site and at noria.com the debate rages over the use of "C"ompression rated oils in spark engines. In your case I would run a minimum CF-4 rated oil. I run Schaeffer's 15w-40 (CH-4) in my JD (YANMAR)model 790, F-150 4.2L V-6 , Saturn SL-1 and lawn mower.
No problems even on what we call cold mornings 15*f.

Look at John Deere it appears they have switched suppliers and now have a 15w-40 conventional oil, 15w-40 synthetic blend and a full synthetic 5w-40 or was it 0w-40.

/ SG Rated Oil for John Deere Diesels? #6  
Thanks Neil,

It was just this past Fall that I discovered there was such a thing as diesel oil for the crankcase! Amazing isn't it? How sheltered can a guy be?

Early Fall I changed oil to Rotella 15-40w. When the weather got cooler I changed again to Rotella 5-40w Synthetic, which is what I may go with year-around, based on JMIII's thread on synthetic diesel oils.

But, I still don't know how CF-4 is different from CF-3. Where do you go to find out what each letter or -number improvement is intended to do to make the oil better?