Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,731  
Reads like Nevada would require anybody that is driving a pickup truck to have a Non CDL class A license.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,732  
I don’t buy that boat and trailer weigh 38k. The tongue construction alone doesn’t support that. It does have a lot of axles though, tiny tires.

How does a guy without a license get a boat like that?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,733  
Not unusual to move boats out of Tahoe Basin to over winter at lower elevations plus lake level quite low due to drought...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,734  
Reads like Nevada would require anybody that is driving a pickup truck to have a Non CDL class A license.
My first read got that too but then I realized it's just clumsily written and really says "class C - Driven vehicle plus any combination of towing, GCWR not to exceed 26k, total towed not to exceed 10k" - basically like California except it appears to allow multiple trailers

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,735  
I don’t buy that boat and trailer weigh 38k.
I was thinking the same thing. Years ago I owned a Utility flatbed trailer that weighed 10,000, as and she was a heavy old girl, so that trailer empty is going to weigh 6-8K. I can't believe the boat weighs 30,000+ either. I am guessing they were referring either to the GVW capacity of the trailer or the combined weight of truck, trailer and boat.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,736  
Agree on the weight. But most likely too much for an F350. And in a lot of states, if the truck was owned by a company or being hired out, it requires CDL and DOT. A lot of people with horse farms getting tickets because trying to take farm off taxes. I don't understand people. I used to haul a 16 ft trailer hauling about 4,000 of hay with an F150. No brakes on trailer. I almost got in trouble with it a lot. And was only pulling it about 4 miles on hwy. My F250,(that got totaled by a dope head on the wrong side of the road) with brakes handled it ok, but I had no hills.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,737  
I don’t buy that boat and trailer weigh 38k

Comments on the news article talk about it either being 3800 or 38'
I don't think it's 38', either, but I don't know boats well enough to know if 3800 is ballpark

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,738  
My first read got that too but then I realized it's just clumsily written and really says "class C - Driven vehicle plus any combination of towing, GCWR not to exceed 26k, total towed not to exceed 10k" - basically like California except it appears to allow multiple trailers
Clumsily is an understatement. The area that create an issue are

From the class C part of the law May drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of a vehicle for which a Class A or B driver’s license is required which circles back to the Second paragraph of the Class A requirements which is

Any combination of vehicles not exceeding 70 feet in length with a gross combination weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less so long as the gross combination weight rating of the towed vehicles does not exceed the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing vehicle

So for an example My Ram 1500 has a GVWR of 6.6K I tow a tandem axle utility trailer with a GVWR of 7K So in my case the trailer GVWR exceeded the GVWR of the truck so would fall under their definition of a Class A license. And by the wording wouldn't qualify for the Class C because the GCWR would exceed the 10K

Also from the Class C portion of the law. May tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length and not to exceed a combined weight rating or a combined weight of more than 10,000 pounds without any additional testing or endorsements.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,739  
I used to haul a 16 ft trailer hauling about 4,000 of hay with an F150. No brakes on trailer. I almost got in trouble with it a lot. And was only pulling it about 4 miles on hwy. My F250,(that got totaled by a dope head on the wrong side of the road) with brakes handled it ok, but I had no hills.
View attachment 720565

About 3 tons of hay over 3 mountain passes, 215 miles 5 times with no problems, approximately 16,000 GCVW. The trailer has brakes, but I operate on the principle that when coming off a pass, brakes are for sharp corners and emergencies, not to control speed in general. The truck is 6.2 gasser. The passes were 4800', 5400' and 4000'

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,740  
That boat is bigger than it looks like in that article. Here’s another picture.
IMG_0837.JPG