Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,161  
The last kitchen refrigerator "failure" was probably just a $30 cooling fan, and might have still been covered by warranty. But when it's a 10-day wait just to get a repair man out to evaluate the failure and tell you whether it's going to be covered by warranty, let alone the additional time required to order parts and execute the repair, it's just easier to replace the damn thing and get on with your life.
Was it an LG by chance? That happened to us, and they actually didn't even sell the replacement part.
I had to buy a Whirlpool part and modify it. The LG refrigerator was about a year old at the time, and still under an extended warranty from Home Depot, but they did not sell the part! Crazy!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,162  
These appliance failures are generally the result of tightened efficiency requirements and restrictions on materials that can be used (refrigerants). For instance, with the LG fridges of late the compressor has to work very hard due to the energy and refrigerant situation. So if the ventilation isn't great (think dust/pet hair clogging vents under and on back) the compressor overheats and dies.

Stop and think about it for a minute... Years ago a fridge would last for 15, 20, 25 years. Now we have 'efficient' and 'environmentally friendly' models that die after 2-4 years and have to be replaced. Just how much impact to the environment and to the overall energy sector do you think there is to create that many more new appliances because of the failings?? Which one do you think is lower impact over 20 years? This is the kind of insanity that gov regulations nets us.

As for me, any future appliances I buy like fridge, washer, dryer, etc. are coming from Costco where they can be returned at any time for any reason. Not going to deal with manufacturer warranties and service wait times. $3000 fridge fails... It's going back and I'm coming home with a new one. If that happens enough maybe Costco will pressure manufacturers to do better over time.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,163  
As for me, any future appliances I buy like fridge, washer, dryer, etc. are coming from Costco where they can be returned at any time for any reason. Not going to deal with manufacturer warranties and service wait times. $3000 fridge fails... It's going back and I'm coming home with a new one. If that happens enough maybe Costco will pressure manufacturers to do better over time.
Those days are gone:
Must have lost that fight with the manufacturers and were losing too much money.

Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions, Projectors, Major Appliances (refrigerators above 10 cu. ft., freezers, ranges, cooktops, over-the-range microwaves, range hoods, dishwashers, water heaters, washers and dryers), Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Smart Watches, Cameras, Aerial Cameras (drones), Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones (return details will vary by carrier service contract).

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,164  
You guys are scaring me! My refrigerator is a Frigidaire scratch and dent which I bought about 7 years ago. I think it cost about $350. Before that I was buying used, for around 100$ per... if I got a year out of them I was happy.

What I would really like is a non self defrosting unit. They cost less to operate, and don't dry your food out.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,165  
Those days are gone:
Must have lost that fight with the manufacturers and were losing too much money.

Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions, Projectors, Major Appliances (refrigerators above 10 cu. ft., freezers, ranges, cooktops, over-the-range microwaves, range hoods, dishwashers, water heaters, washers and dryers), Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Smart Watches, Cameras, Aerial Cameras (drones), Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones (return details will vary by carrier service contract).

Great. :-( That's a pretty recent change to add appliances to the exclusion.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,166  
You guys are scaring me! My refrigerator is a Frigidaire scratch and dent which I bought about 7 years ago. I think it cost about $350. Before that I was buying used, for around 100$ per... if I got a year out of them I was happy.

What I would really like is a non self defrosting unit. They cost less to operate, and don't dry your food out.
Aww… the joys of defrosting the fridge on Saturday morning. :unsure: The good ole days! :p
1713908552118.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,167  
Although nothing is made to last like it used to be there are some good brands out there still. When I replaced my kitchen appliances I chose a local appliance shop that also services what they sell and they only sell what can be serviced. Their input also aligned with what I had found in my research of brands. The Korean brands like LG and Samsung are some of the worst all around appliance brands from both the longevity and serviceability standpoint. I ended up with all Frigidaire Gallery series for the Fridge, dishwasher, stove and microwave and I have not had a lick of trouble from any of them in the 6 years I’ve owned them. They did warn me about the microwave, they said none of them are built to last anymore and it was the only item I bought from them that they said was a throw away unit. In the same time that I’ve had my Frigidaire stuff my parents have gone through 3 Samsung and LG fridges, two Samsung stoves and one Samsung dishwasher.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,170  
Was that a dual wheel Ranger?