sharkbite

/ sharkbite #11  
I heard from a plumber friend of mine that there are reports the stainless teeth are deteriorating. The potential liability is staggering. This past summer I just replaced the blue water pipe that was supposed to last for 50 years. Sometimes things go bad.

/ sharkbite #12  
These are very well made fittings. For the price they should be. The ones that I installed have been in use for about 14 months now and haven't leaked a drop. But these are used in a basement with a drain. If they did leak it wouldn't be a big deal for me. Would I put them in a wall and drywall over them? Probably not.

/ sharkbite #13  
We replaced a water heater at work and used the lowes brand on the connections. We shut the water off one time to the heater and upon re applying water pressure, one of the fitting slipped off. It was quickly slipped back together and not had any problems since. Not sure what caused it to slip off.

/ sharkbite #14  
I know this an old thread BUT

Just finished a repair of a split pipe in the ceiling.

Wanted to put in an inside shutoff.

Without push on fittings it would have been a "call the plumber" for a solder job.

ForumRunner_20140608_124735.png

With sharkbite it was basically cut, deburr, polish, push, test and foam.

About a 15 minute process which I managed to spread over hours.
(Where's the [pipe cutter, teflon tape, pipe wrench, etc.]).

/edit Just knowing I can cut and cap a pipe anyplace I can reach a mini-pipe cutter WITHOUT SOLDERING is well worth the cost of a fitting.

Last edited:
   / sharkbite #15  
Just had my plumbing repaired last week for the 2nd time. Turns out the original installer/"plumber" of the tankless water heater must have run out of Pex and installed "BS" piping (that's what my plumber called it) in some places; don't know the actual trade name but he said it was mainly used in mobile homes. So, instead of just fixing the leak, like all the other plumbers did, he replace the entire two sections of the BS pipe with PEx and crimped on connectors.

He also said that his company will only use Sharkbite in concrete slabs when they can't get to the joint any other way. In addition to replacing all the BS pipe, he also replaced the Pex/Sharkbite "repair" the last plumber installed.

FWIW.

/ sharkbite #16  
It can be tough to get that crimp tool in some tight spots but you can usually find a way to make up most of the joints out of the tight spots.
Other than that, it's a good choice. You can adapt it to polybutylene ....which is very cool

/ sharkbite #17  
I do occasionally use Sharkbites for temporary caps. But, I Don't use anything in a permanent repair, or installation, that I can't be sure will last as long as the rest of the system. Sharkbites fall into that category.

Rubber is not forever. At some point the "O" rings in those Sharkbites will dry out.

I avoid Fernco's if at all possible, for the same reason.

I did a frozen pipe repair in a foyer ceiling this spring, and the customer had a plumber for a brother in law who lived out of town. I couldn't believe this "plumber" actually told him to have me use Sharkbites to fix the pipe. I said sorry. I am going to solder it, so I know you will not ever call me and tell me its leaking again. It did enough damage the first time.

I know many people have trouble soldering pipes. It's really not difficult.

I am sure like everything else, there are a ton of YouTube videos you can watch to learn how to solder pipes properly, for those who are lacking in the skill.

Issues with combustibles nearby, and water in the pipes, are easily mitigated with the proper equipment.

/ sharkbite #18  
<snip>
I did a frozen pipe repair in a foyer ceiling this spring, and the customer had a plumber for a brother in law who lived out of town. I couldn't believe this "plumber" actually told him to have me use Sharkbites to fix the pipe. I said sorry. I am going to solder it, so I know you will not ever call me and tell me its leaking again. It did enough damage the first time.

I know many people have trouble soldering pipes. It's really not difficult.

I am sure like everything else, there are a ton of YouTube videos you can watch to learn how to solder pipes properly, for those who are lacking in the skill.

Issues with combustibles nearby, and water in the pipes, are easily mitigated with the proper equipment.
I agree - If I'm paying a plumber $100 for a visit and $100 for the first hour, plus materials, for a 10 or 15 minute job like I had I would want the thing soldered. Instead I payed $17 for a piece which will remain visible (it's a shutoff valve).

I can readily see why a lot of plumbers advise against push on fittings. With a simple cutting tools, something to clean and deburr the ends, a lot of plumbing emergency calls could be averted. And then the homeowner can sit down and watch a lot of youtube and practice soldering so he can do it "CORRECTLY".

/ sharkbite #19  
I recently re-plumbed our whole home using Pex, w/ copper crimp rings, etc. The house is a well house that had thin wall copper and it was starting to show it's age. Lucky for me it is a ranch and everything was easily accessible. I did not re plumb the hall bath yet as it will be replaced next year. For all of the temporary fittings, joining the new pex to the coper I used shark bites, but would not want to use them as a permanent solution or where they were not visible/accessible.