Sharpened blades on mower deck

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #31  
JK22,

Sorry, I was just trying to prevent you from stripping the threads on those mounting bolts. I didn't see the other post, as my computer has been acting up the last few days. Glad you found the specs in the manual.

Dave

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #32  
JK22,

Sorry, I was just trying to prevent you from stripping the threads on those mounting bolts. I didn't see the other post, as my computer has been acting up the last few days. Glad you found the specs in the manual.

Dave

No worries at all. Always good to correct bad information.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #33  
Hello everyone,

I set the blades on my Deere 62C to the manual spec of 50 ft/lbs and lost one blade this week! Fortunately, I can find no damage except a bald spot in the yard. I am going to tighten a little more than the spec and look into some thread seal.

Tips from my experience:

1. Perhaps check the bolts to see what their grade is. I *think* it might be alright to tighten mower blades a little more than the factory specification. Especially if your torque wrench is not calibrated like mine. I use a mid-priced wrench from Northern Tool.
2. Occasionally, remove any ear protection or headphones just before you disengage mower blades. My Wife later told me she heard a strange sound when I had disengaged the blades on at least one occasion before the blade came off. In her defense she did not know I could not hear it. I could not hear it due to the combination of noise protection and music headphones.
3. Try to disengage blades over grass as opposed to a hard surface like asphalt or concrete. I think if I had "dropped" a blade on asphalt it would have traveled much further from the tractor potentially injuring someone or something. The grass took most of the energy as evidence from a scalp trail.

Unsure if MythBusters is still doing new episodes. In a large empty parking lot, I would like to see someone rig up a way to quickly loose a mower blade bolt on asphalt or concrete and see what happens. I bet it would not be good.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #34  
My overtightened blade bolts were not factory, but me replacing blades a couple years ago. I have two sets and swapped the blades. I did not think I over tightened them, but they were sure a bugger trying to get off.. my new impact did the job, sharp blades are a joy to mow with.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #35  
Blade bolts on my John Deere 413 brush hog are supposed to be torqued to 433 ft-lbs by design and torque multiplier wrench is recommended!

I ended up buying one just to be able to remove the bolts, which were not rusted.

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #36  
I have a 3' long aluminum 3/4" drive ratchet... It is what I go to when I have to put the old 'farmer' torque on big bolts.... [ like FEL attachment bolts ] 400# is one umpf or so... 450#, two umpfs or so .... etc..... :)

/ Sharpened blades on mower deck #37  
Hello everyone,

I set the blades on my Deere 62C to the manual spec of 50 ft/lbs and lost one blade this week! Fortunately, I can find no damage except a bald spot in the yard. I am going to tighten a little more than the spec and look into some thread seal.

Tips from my experience:

1. Perhaps check the bolts to see what their grade is. I *think* it might be alright to tighten mower blades a little more than the factory specification. Especially if your torque wrench is not calibrated like mine. I use a mid-priced wrench from Northern Tool.
2. Occasionally, remove any ear protection or headphones just before you disengage mower blades. My Wife later told me she heard a strange sound when I had disengaged the blades on at least one occasion before the blade came off. In her defense she did not know I could not hear it. I could not hear it due to the combination of noise protection and music headphones.
3. Try to disengage blades over grass as opposed to a hard surface like asphalt or concrete. I think if I had "dropped" a blade on asphalt it would have traveled much further from the tractor potentially injuring someone or something. The grass took most of the energy as evidence from a scalp trail.

Unsure if MythBusters is still doing new episodes. In a large empty parking lot, I would like to see someone rig up a way to quickly loose a mower blade bolt on asphalt or concrete and see what happens. I bet it would not be good.

I think it would drop off and just skip around a bit because it's pretty close to balanced. A bush hog blade in the other hand would be far worse.