Sharpening Drill Bits

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #11  
I can't seem to get the Drill Doctor to work on the smaller bits. It works great on 1/4" and up.

Probably operator error, just need to stay at it. My index is full of stubby bits < 1/4" :')

That is the problem I had. It was all I could do not to throw it across the shop!:laughing:
I can sharpen a bit faster by hand than the time it took to load a drill bit in the Drill Doctor.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #12  
I can sharpen a bit faster by hand than the time it took to load a drill bit in the Drill Doctor.

I agree. I was given a drill dr several yrs ago as a present. Used it maybe 2 x

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #13  
A Drill Doctor is one of those tools that I think you either *click* into using it right away or you never do. I've heard some guys who are quite handy literally curse them and some praise them. I like mine! It works well for me and gives me a good sharp bit. The odd time I "flubbotch" it up and have to start over but that's my fault, not the tool. I "know" how to hand sharpen a drill, but my body refuses to go along with what my brain tells it to do and I end up with some real peculiar grinds! :D

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #14  
Every so often I either mess one up or it slips and it doesn't sharpen correctly but I would never be without a Drill Doctor again. I do want to pick up the coarse wheel for doing broken bits.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #15  
I rarley sharpen a bit.

The place I used to work ( and dad still works there) throws a TON of bits away. They buy the plated ones. Anytime a bit gets taken out of the bin, it doesnt get put back, even if it only drilled through 1 peice of sheet metal.

But thats how that factories maintenance operates. If they have a machine down, and need a drillbit, if they grab a used bit and have to walk back to get another, that 5min cost WAY more than the price of the bit. So only new bits are in there and used ones get tossed. So yeah, I got pleanty. And they dont bother sharpening either because they dont last once the plating is gone.

On some of the larger bits that I dont get as often, I will sharpen and re-use them. But anything under 1/2", when it's done its done and I toss it.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #16  
I re-sharpen HSS drill bits only. I do not buy the coated ones for the simple reason that the coated bits can not be re-sharpened and last anytime at all because the coating is gone.

I do them by hand on a bench grinder and utilize 2 hex nuts super-glued together for a 120 degree visual reference comparison guide when grinding/sharpening the bits. This low cost poor man's comparison guide allows me to get close enough to the factory's 117 degree O.E. angle. If a bit is badly mangled then one should only grind a little bit at a time and let cool so as to not remove the temper from the bit. If you see blue colored areas on your freshly sharpened edge then you ground too much too fast and got it too hot - the edge will not last.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #17  
Am lucky to own a set of Dormer bits and for shure keep them sharp.
I do so using the hand held method. I can do down to about 1/8".
A dremmel tool is also handy to touch up the small bits but sometimes gets to be hit or miss.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #18  
Wow, I can't believe how many of you guys just chuck out bits.....I'd love to empty your waste baskets.....maybe cuz you don't pay for them..??..:confused2:

I've hand sharpened for years but the Drill Doctor is faster and better than looking for a new one sometimes......and I use drill bits everyday for some pretty tough materials......

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #19  
In my experience, the diamond wheel of the Drill dr. will make an edge far superior to a new bit if you take the time to do it. That said, it is more difficult as the bit size gets smaller. I guess below 1/16" I would not even bother trying to sharpen. But 1/8" and up work great.
Thanks to whoever pointed out that Drill Dr. has a coarse wheel for repair jobs, I need that too.

/ Sharpening Drill Bits #20  
Here's a way to do up to 2.5" dia........Big Drills....Uggg Uggg Uggg... the Tim the Toolman Taylor Way......

Attachments

• Mar2011 029.jpg
    Mar2011 029.jpg
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • Mar2011 031.jpg
    Mar2011 031.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 322