Shear bolts on 513 cutter

/ Shear bolts on 513 cutter #11  
<font color="blue"> On one of the pages in the manual I seem to remember another recommendation for a grade 5 bolt. That's different than what they say in the back of the manual! I don't have the manuals here to check myself but that is what I went to ... </font>

If memory serves me correctly an 8.8 (which is metric) is equivalent to a grade 5 (which is SAE).

/ Shear bolts on 513 cutter #12  
Hi! Does anyone know or can say if a 513 cutter would work ok with a Deere 2030? I’ve been running running my neighbors 5’ cutter (dunno what it is, old, rusted out) and it seems about equally sized. Anyhow...simple field mowing, nothing heavy. Thx.

/ Shear bolts on 513 cutter #13  
50+ hp should handle the 513 with ease.. when I purchased my 513 I had it hooked to my jd 420 2-cyl with about 20 hp and it handled the 513 easily.

Just with all that hp, be sure the correct shear bolts are used if a slip clutch properly adjusted is not on the 513. just sayin...

/ Shear bolts on 513 cutter #15  
And so the slip clutch would be on the cutter itself? I’ll find out...

/ Shear bolts on 513 cutter #16  
Yes, near the gear box on the PTO shaft.
Here is a schematic from jdparts to show the different ones for serial number breaks. But there are 6 bolts that are adjusted for "slippage" under load that are there to protect your PTO in the tractor from failure as well as the cutter gearbox.

Attachments

• 513_slip_clutch.jpg
    513_slip_clutch.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 93
   / Shear bolts on 513 cutter #18  
That is it.. good that you have it and don't have to worry about a shear bolt. Just know how to adjust the slip clutch to avoid it seizing up.

Try to get the threads on those eight bolts doped up with penetrating oil so they can be loosened evenly (same number of turns) until the clutch slips, then tighten evenly until the cutter handles the mowing load and doesn't slip (except when hitting something where it needs to slip and not break something). Takes a bit of fiddling to get that just right.. but is important to do at the beginning of each season.

/ Shear bolts on 513 cutter #19  
Oh I haven’t bought it yet, its listed at 650 and I’m selling mine tomorrow for 400 so it won’t be costly should I buy it. 513 would go on my 2030, mowing what used to be done by this LMC Clipper 400. I’m pretty impressed with this tractor so far, thinking a Deere cutter may be just as good. My tractor has two ports behind the seat for some type of control. Is that what was mentioned before and what’s that about?

/ Shear bolts on 513 cutter #20  
Likely that is the 3rd SCV (for operating a two-way hydraulic ram) but only need the 513 connected to the 3 ph and the PTO.

I have an hydraulic top arm that is a two-way ram for tilting the 3 ph attachments and I find it very handy to have.

Also, I've reinforced the rotary cutter deck with 1" square tubing as it was taking a beating when backing into brush. As well, I replaced the 1" straps with chains to carry the rear of the cutter. The straps get bent up when the rear wheel of the cutter raises and the straps go into compression.

Attachments

• 513_rotary_cutter.jpg
    513_rotary_cutter.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 106