Sheave/ pulley adjustment

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment
They could be #12-24.
Thought of that but no one around me has that size. Will need to look online and also will check the other pulley. But I had to get some mowing done so I put everything together with just two matched belts and so far everything is running fine. At least I can confirm that the previous high heat situation didn’t have anything to do with the misaligned pulleys. Although ultimately would like to get them lined up perfect.

Tapping is NOT an option at this time, the threads MUST go completely though the hub so the bolts can push against the pulley. With it assembled the tap will stop short of completely passing through the hub. However I would re-tap to a common thread after it is off.

Using a hammer is a risky option but IF you were to try a hammer find a punch that will fit freely inside the pusher holes and hammer against the pulley where it was designed to handle the pressure. Don't go gorilla on it just good wacks while moving from opposite hole to opposite hole.

Also if you are not using matched belts do not expect them to give the service you expect. Non matched belts will vary in length slightly and each belt will stretch at a different rate. When buying belts purchase good ones from a source that KNOWS what matched belts are, all the numbers and codes on a properly matched set will all be the same. Or better yet use a 3 in 1 belt (can't remember the proper name, to early in the morning) it looks like one wide belt with the 3 V's molded in.
Any suggestions on a source that KNOWS what matched belts are. Might as well order them now to have on hand💁

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #23  
Gee, I don't know what "matching belts" are either. We've just got the same ones and used them as a set.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #24  
If you order the same Brand from the same place they most likely will be the same. You could ask if they have matching lot numbers but you will be fine either way.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #25  
Any suggestions on a source that KNOWS what matched belts are. Might as well order them now to have on hand💁
The last set I got was from Tractor Supply, I think. McMaster-Carr has them too but at a premium.

There's RMA standards for matched belts. See this Gates Page.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #26  
My last conversation with the authorities at Motion Industries has revealed that (this is their claim) matched belts aren't even a thing anymore. They claim that belt manufacturing tolerances are such that every belt is exactly close enough to each other to be used in applications where belts are used in multiples.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #27  
My last conversation with the authorities at Motion Industries has revealed that (this is their claim) matched belts aren't even a thing anymore. They claim that belt manufacturing tolerances are such that every belt is exactly close enough to each other to be used in applications where belts are used in multiples.
This could be correct I just checked some of my belts and the match code/numbers are not on any of them. Back in the day belts had an additional set of numbers molded on them and those had to "match" for the belts to be a matched set. So manufacturing must be holding tolerances to a more strict standard, at the very least I would only use belts from the same manufacturer.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #28  
Flail mowers create a lot of extra stress on bearings, especially ball type. The misalignment may be worn bearings. Worth checking. Roller bearings last longer in that environment. A wholesaler in the power drive business can match up most anything. Replaced ball bearings on big fans with roller type many times.

Ron

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #29  
Not saying its not possible....but I have never seen a taperlock that the threaded jack-bolt holes are a different size thread that the ones that bolt to the sheave.

I have ALWAYS just used the removed bolts and threaded them right into the jack bolt holes.

Have you tried using a pick or something. Maybe they arent threading in because the threads are just packed with crud.

You ARE aware that they need threaded in correct? And not a thru hole like how you took them out?

Also, once you find the right thread....go easy and evenly. If it gets to the point where it feels like you are gonna just break the bolts and be back at square one....tap the pulley with a hammer. The combination of pressure from the bolts and taps with a hammer work wonders.

They are definitely 100% a different size. Check the picture at the beginning of the thread. You can see that those holes are about half the size of the bolt on holes. At this point I’m thinking the odds are pretty high they are 12-24 just need to find a source that carries that size in class eight.