Sheave/ pulley adjustment

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #31  
Your threaded puller bolt holes use the same bolts as the holding bolts.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #32  
They are definitely 100% a different size. Check the picture at the beginning of the thread. You can see that those holes are about half the size of the bolt on holes. At this point I’m thinking the odds are pretty high they are 12-24 just need to find a source that carries that size in class eight.
I'd start by just getting 1 bolt of any quality and testing fit. Odds "pretty high" is useless when the ability to verify is easy.

The unthreaded holes are clearance holes and have no bearing on visually checking to see if the existing bolts fit the threaded holes. However, you did say you checked, so I'll assume you are correct. I agree with others that the existing bolts "should" be the same as the jack bolts. But, who says every manufacturer is so thoughtful as to do so.

Have you bothered to verify the existing bolts are inch standard and not metric?

Finally, it appears you may not satisfy the nay-sayers until you post a pic trying to insert the existing bolts in the jack screw holes. :)

Last edited:
   / Sheave/ pulley adjustment #33  
Looking at his pictures I definitely would say the bolt is bigger. However, the ones on the other pulley may fit as previously suggested.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #34  
Looking at picture I get feeling "jack bolt holes" are not threaded, there for needs some other means of releasing taper, like may be a punch...

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #35  
Looking at picture I get feeling "jack bolt holes" are not threaded, there for needs some other means of releasing taper, like may be a punch...
I was wondering the same thing but couldnt tell on my phone. But from the desktop they indeed dont look threaded. Maybe a MFG oversight....they drilled but never came back and tapped? That would explain why they look so small and the bolts dont fit.

But I assume we are looking at a ~50-60 year old mower. And things werent as standardized as they are today.

For example....smaller taperlocks like that.....Usually only have 3 bolts holding them and three threaded jack bolt holes.

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment
No, can verify that Jack bolt holes are definitely threaded🤗

/ Sheave/ pulley adjustment #37  
No, can verify that Jack bolt holes are definitely threaded🤗
Then why can you not find bolts to fit..... Pretty sure at age of implement isn't metric so its got to be a common SAE dimension and thread pitch....

IF you need grade 8 or better screws for jack screws, look at Allen head cap screws..... Allen heads are 160,000 PSI where a grade 8 in only 150,000PSI...

Last edited: