Sheet metal brake

/ Sheet metal brake #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I'm thinking of using some scrap angle iron I have to make a sheet metal brake. Has anyone done this before?

/ Sheet metal brake #2  
Yep,
10 footer and it didn't work except on short pieces. The 1/4 x 3 " angle iron flexed to much. Bent on the ends opened up in the middle.

/ Sheet metal brake
Interesting. I was thinking of welding a length of solid steel rod, about 1" dia, along the entire length, and using that as the pivot point at either end, as well.

Was yours supported like that, or unsupported? Curious. I can definately see the angle flexing on it's own.

/ Sheet metal brake #4  
No it wasn't supported and that might help. It's still out there bolted to a bench but the stuff I needed bent, I needed right then, so it got abandoned and no use for it since.

/ Sheet metal brake #6  
I made a 26" brake from 1/4" x 3" angle. It was supported on top by a 1"square tube brace. I ran hex bolts down through the brace to clamp the steel firmly along the length of the brake. It's a bit cumbersome to use a hex key to secure the brake before bending, but for the few pices I bend it works fine.

/ Sheet metal brake #8  
   / Sheet metal brake #9  
The better idea for that 1" rod is to bend it to form two legs of a triangle with the angle iron as the third leg. Then weld in a section vertically in the middle that allows you to put tension on the angle iron( something like threaded rod/coupler). This put the two rod legs in tension and presses down on the center of the angle iron to keep it from flexing. Maybe somebody good with drawings can illustrate for me?

/ Sheet metal brake
Thanks for the extra info. The HF brake is too expensive, for me. I only need it on rare occasions, and the local shops have a $40-45 min charge. I can build one, I think for just a few bucks that will do what I need.

I searched the web and did see a few that were braced as you mention, moeh1, so maybe that will be easier. Wondering if there's a easy way to insure the brake pivots in the right place?