Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof?

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof?
House was built in 1988.

Currently shingles are on there now (since the house was built).

Knew when we bought the house that the roof would need work in the next couple of years.

Month ago hard rain for a week straight, found some leaks, nothing "bad", but the work needs to be done (quicker than we thought).

For what it's worth, pic of the roof.

And after looking at the picture, no, I don't use my garage for my truck or car /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Thanks for all the info.

Attachments

• 784395-Copy of three.JPG
    784395-Copy of three.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 339
Picture of the back.

Somthing you don't see is 4 river birches (sp?) about 50' tall that "overhanged" the house (which I took down). Lot of "crap" from those tress went on the roof.

Attachments

• 784404-Copy of Five.JPG
    784404-Copy of Five.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 294
   / Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #13  
It was mentioned about how snow slides off a metal roof as a good thing. I have a friend that removed her 8 year old metal roof and replaced with asphalt shingles because she hated the way the snow slid off and blocked her sidewalks and porches.

Her opinion, not mine, but since you were asking for opinions I thought you might like to hear hers.

Phil

Being in North Carolina, snow isn't much of a problem /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #15  
Snow is no problem at my house either but she is a couple of thousand feet higher in elevation than us. Bothered her alot. Of course, old widows have different priorities than tractor nuts.

I dang near moved to North Carolina a few years back. We visited there many times during the decade we pushed a semi-truck cross-country. Nice area with good BBQ.

Phil

Just good BBQ!!!??? (guys in Lexington might just hang you for that commernt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Heck, As a yankee I used to only know it as a sloppy joe before I got down here!

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #17  
Looking at the pics you posted of your roof... you don't have any valleys? Looks like everything is going straight downhill! Very little waste or time-consuming cutting to be done. It would be a pretty simple job to cover with galvalume!
Good luck whatever you choose.

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It was mentioned about how snow slides off a metal roof as a good thing. )</font>

Yep. They make these things called snow guards/fences/catchers for that. They look rather decorative in some instances. They come in all shapes and sizes. They impede the slide, causing a slow melt instead.

A must have for horse barns IMHO. Something one frequently overlooks with metal roofs.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #19  
Sigarms,
Nice lookin place you have there! Boy, there are good and bad to both. Since snow is not a problem for you, I would say the only drawback to metal is, its kind of noisy when it rains hard. I have a shingled roof here, obviousy no gutters, you wont find many of them this far north because of ice buildup, backing up under your shingles. Up here, you also find a combination of shingles and sheetmetal. The main roof is shingled and the lowest 3 ft is sheetmetal.
Gotta ask how is the price comparison down there?

scotty
ps GREAT BBQ down your way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sheet metal roof compared to shingle roof? #20  
"its kind of noisy when it rains hard."

I kinda like listening to the sound of the rain.. sounds like nap-time music to me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif