Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions

/ Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi, saw Shell Rotella T Synthetic on shelf beside,good old reliable regular Rotella T. Anyone try it or hear good/bad things about it. Would like to give it a try in my Kubota. I know of Amsoil,Mobil Delvac,etc...,just info on this oil. I use the others no favorites,no failures,shortened life,more consumption.So ranting or raving about other oils will fall on deaf ears. Please just positive or negative info(not just a biased opinion) on Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40.Thank You. SC.

/ Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions #2  
Redline oil has some comments about 5W oils being used bith in cars and diesels. ITs pretty interesting. I can't remember if it was on their website or the info they sent me. After reading it, I won't be using 5W-XX in either my car which calls for it and in particular my diesels that don't call for it. It has nothing to do with lubricating qualities, rather the chemicals necessary to make it work be they synthetic or petroleum based. Rat...

/ Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions
Rat, One must remember that all oil companies try to find the niche, and to explain why their oil is better than the others. Let me point out that Cat repackages Delvac 1 for use in its engines, Cummins sells a diesel 5w-40. Why would major companies sell oil that would hurt their engines and therefore their reputations and ultimately their sales.
I try to avoid as much hype as possible and look at what the companies that make the stuff recommend and sell.
Just my 2 cents.
Greg H

/ Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions #4  
Redline Oil did not mention that it would necessarily hurt the engine, I need to go dig up the article which may still be available on their website, redlineoil.com. I am most certain that Redline could easliy manufactuer a 0Wxx oil as well as a 5Wxx oil, but after reading the article see why they don't. I'll see what I can do to reproduce the article. You might find it interesting or may consider it purely a competitors way to compete by undermining the competition, I found it interesting, Rat...

/ Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions
Rat, I read the info. The one thing I noticed is they talked down on the 5w-40 but then only tested 5w-50 oils. From what I have read it does take more pour depressants and vis. modifiers to increase the range of an oil. I guess I look for reasons to disbelieve stuff I read, not saying that it isnt true.
Greg H

/ Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions #6  
I went with a 5W40 (Mobil 1 Delvac) in my Kubota B2710 for a couple of reasons. Less wear and tear when its cold. I use my tractor mainly for snow removal. Lots of cold starts and IMHO, the 5 in the 5W40 implies better lubrication when the oil is cold. Also, it makes starting somewhat easier in the cold weather.

Attachments

• 28-84561-SnowKubota.jpg
    28-84561-SnowKubota.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 177
   / Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions #7  
That absolutely has to be the ultimate snow moving machine!! Best of both worlds with the plow blade AND a blower - WOW /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 Opinions #8  
Although I use it in the summer, I bought the tractor mainly for snow removal. Living in the mountains of northern Utah, let me tell you, I move a LOT of snow with it too. During the summer, I've got a FEL and a brush hog so its used pretty much all year altough a lot more hours are racked up in the winter.

I really like the blade/blower setup. I'd say at least 80% of my snow removal is with the blade. I use the blower for drifts and cutting the edges back left by the blade.