Shieldarc - Would you be willing to bend test some "Messer 80T AC" rod?

/ Shieldarc - Would you be willing to bend test some "Messer 80T AC" rod?
No! No Menards anywhere close to me. I just bought some pipe stands from Menards.com a few weeks ago. Do you have a link to Menards for that welding rod?

No Link. Unfortunately only a small portion of all Menards products are listed on their national website. All the stores in Southwest Ohio (and 1 store that I have personally been to in Richmond, IN) carry welders both arc and wire feeds plus common electrodes, mig wire, and general welding supplies. All I can find on Menards national website is limited to two welding helmets.

Are there any Ace Hardware, HWI hardware, "Do It" Hardware, or other small independent type hardware stores near your? Some Ace's carry Forney welding supplies and other Ace's carry US Forge welding supplies. I can not speak for other small hardware stores, but likely to be hit or miss in regards to welding supplies.

Option 3 is I could mail a package of rods, but I am guessing that shipping will cost 2-3 times more than buying the rods at a local store - shipping might be cheaper than I think though since only talking 1 pound. What general part of the world you located?

/ Shieldarc - Would you be willing to bend test some "Messer 80T AC" rod? #12  
Sent you a PM.

/ Shieldarc - Would you be willing to bend test some "Messer 80T AC" rod? #13  
Seams to me Rankrank1 that if you want someone to critique a rod that you could at least offer to send Shield Arc a pound of it. I agree with your personal assessment of Shield Arc ability and hounsty!

Seams to me Rankrank1 that if you want someone to critique a rod that you could at least offer to send Shield Arc a pound of it. I agree with your personal assessment of Shield Arc ability and hounsty!

Maybe you should read all the posts in a thread before you post - specifically post #11 last paragraph.

For the record: I am not even involved with any business that have anything to do with welding. I am simply a backyard hobbyist welder. Heck I am not even a good welder and probably never will be regardless of how much I practice. I am more like a self admitted total hack of a welder, although I can make metal stick together for my repair needs. So in short, I have nothing to gain in profit of this experiment - only knowledge. As you can tell by most of my welding equipment that I use, my pockets are not deep with cash either. Regardless, I did not want to ask someone else to do something that was going to cost them money.

Anyway, It is not as easy as simply sending Shieldarc a pound of rod - or even sending you a pound of rod for that matter. Shieldarc is anoymous and I am anoymous (I know I prefer to remain anoymous and maybe Shieldarc does too - either one of us could be some crazy person from the internet - you just never know). For this reason, Within PM to Shieldarc, I have offered to make an anoymous payment to any charity of Shieldarc's choosing as an alternative of him having to provide me with an address to mail a check to. This way he can remain anoymous and I can remain anoymous too and the money he spent to buy rod is going to a charity of his choice from me. Hopefully, everybody wins in this scenario as I would post a receipt of my donation as proof I did what I said I would do.

Last edited:
   / Shieldarc - Would you be willing to bend test some "Messer 80T AC" rod? #15  
Maybe you should read all the posts in a thread before you post - specifically post #11 last paragraph.

For the record: I am not even involved with any business that have anything to do with welding. I am simply a backyard hobbyist welder. Heck I am not even a good welder and probably never will be regardless of how much I practice. I am more like a self admitted total hack of a welder, although I can make metal stick together for my repair needs. So in short, I have nothing to gain in profit of this experiment - only knowledge. As you can tell by most of my welding equipment that I use, my pockets are not deep with cash either. Regardless, I did not want to ask someone else to do something that was going to cost them money.

Anyway, It is not as easy as simply sending Shieldarc a pound of rod - or even sending you a pound of rod for that matter. Shieldarc is anoymous and I am anoymous (I know I prefer to remain anoymous and maybe Shieldarc does too - either one of us could be some crazy person from the internet - you just never know). For this reason, Within PM to Shieldarc, I have offered to make an anoymous payment to any charity of Shieldarc's choosing as an alternative of him having to provide me with an address to mail a check to. This way he can remain anoymous and I can remain anoymous too and the money he spent to buy rod is going to a charity of his choice from me. Hopefully, everybody wins in this scenario as I would post a receipt of my donation as proof I did what I said I would do.

Yes! :eek: I did miss the last part of post 11# I am sorry!!

I did not think that you were nothing more than someone that wants to further his knowledge and skill level in welding and I commend you for that and you chose a welder that I also agree with your assessment of.

AS far as your suggestion of the donation to a charity, that was not stated at the time I made my post!:)

If I offend you :eek: I am sorry again! I just thought that for the price of a pound of rods and shipping was a fair price to pay for an independent assessment of a rod for some reason that you want to use.
:confused3:

/ Shieldarc - Would you be willing to bend test some "Messer 80T AC" rod? #16  
It's simply a higher carbon content 6013 with a nice flux that allows you to bend the rod with no flux cracking. QUOTE]

Yomax, is this a shallow penetrating rod like the 6013?

I would say so..I use it only because it runs very nice and it's free. I am sure it doesn't bite in like 6011. It's just a propriatory rod that runs so nice that many people pay the extra money for it. After you weld for a while you will be happy with the standard brands of standard rod and they will do anything you want to do for a couple bucks a pound.
( A friend of mine in an ex MG tech and he always chuckles when he hears about people buying propriatory rods. Eutectic has some yellow rods that are just like 80T only even more expensive. )

...is this a shallow penetrating rod like the 6013?

Been traveling the last couple days, but stopped and picked up a small pack of the US Forge version of 3/32 from Menards tonight. (Remember the US Forge brand may or may not be the same as the Messer 80T AC - not sure simply speculating since they are sorta the same company and I believe these rods even made in same factory).

Only burnt 2 US Forge rods so far, so my opinion is a bit premature at this point but these US Forge rods definitely seem to dig deeper than 6013 or 7014 will dig. Was stringing beads on an old bed frame rail angle that was handy (slightly less than 1/8" thick metal and very slightly rusty). I would burn through the bed rail if not very careful even at lower amp package recommended settings with the US Forge Rods. Burnt 2 Forney 3/32 7014 rods and did not burn through the same long bed frame rail even with amps cranked up to higher end of package recommendation (it did glow cherry red though).

Still too premature to say much yet - I am exhausted from traveling so will try to do more welding Thursday night on some better quality metal.