Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #21  
I'll add that my minimal need of Ox/Acc is so minimal that I refuse to sign a contract for a set of tanks.
What with grinder disks a propane Ox/Acc is now usually a thing of the past.
Only remaining need is heating frozen rusted studs/bolts and even that often can be surmounted.

I agree with PILOON. My O/A tank rentals were $200 a year with taxes.

I use cut off discs for little stuff, plasma up to 1.25 inch thick and oxyacetylene for heating seized parts and cutting thick steel.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #22  
I bought my tanks many,many, many years ago and have not paid any yearly rental fees.... So far I have never had a problem exchanging them when empty... Ownership of tanks never seem to be subject for discussion...

Dale

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #23  
I do a little cast iron repair with powdered and stamped cast rods, nickel/silver brazing rods and more often spray powder. I need a set of tanks mainly for this but I'm lucky enough to not have to pay lease or rent due to connections at the LWS's in my area. O/A is certainly fading out but for antique cast repair I still need the darn things. I can't think of the last time I used the torch other than that. I also keep a porta-torch just in case but it's currently in a dusty plastic bag in my shed. I remember when the torch was all I had to do what we all do now.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #24  
I do a little cast iron repair with powdered and stamped cast rods, nickel/silver brazing rods and more often spray powder. I need a set of tanks mainly for this but I'm lucky enough to not have to pay lease or rent due to connections at the LWS's in my area. O/A is certainly fading out but for antique cast repair I still need the darn things. I can't think of the last time I used the torch other than that. I also keep a porta-torch just in case but it's currently in a dusty plastic bag in my shed. I remember when the torch was all I had to do what we all do now.

I hear you. But, us older guys who never got into MIG and TIG; O/A and SMAW still get any thing done as we know how, "been there done that". I do use propane a lot more now for heating and cutting, due to the cost of Acetylene. i was ASME certified with both, but was always a better O/A welder than SMAW. Also was a certified sil-brazer high pressure and vessel in my working days. Therefore I know my way around those O/A tanks.

Ron