Shielding gases

/ Shielding gases
What size wire and input power are you using? (110 or 220?)

I personally use CO2 but only do occasional repairs/fabrication.

A med size bottle lasts me years.

SA- that weld was done on spray transfer?

Hey Ericher, I run .035 hobart wire. When I was welding everyday for a living most all the factories I worked in used 75/25. I'm running a miller 252 I bought last weekend.

/ Shielding gases
Hey Shield arc, see you got the boys fired up over at the welding web over your wet 7018's. Like watching a soap opera!

/ Shielding gases #13  
Hey shield arc I like the spray transfer. I also like to see some character to the bead. When I was in school they taught us less heat and more technique. I personally like the mig welds that take on a Tig welded appearance. Man we could lay some pretty welds with the 3 phase units at work.
I'm still not convinced of the structural value of that Mig like Tig technique, but it does look:cool:

Hey Shield arc, see you got the boys fired up over at the welding web over your wet 7018's. Like watching a soap opera!
Yeah got a little fire storm going there didn't I? I knew Lawson was going to have a fit, we have had words before. After our screaming match on the telephone he finely seen it my way that not everybody works to code. Stickman and I kissed and made up through PMs, that was all a misunderstanding on my part! Come to find out he is a pretty good kid!

/ Shielding gases
I'm still not convinced of the structural value of that Mig like Tig technique, but it does look:cool:

Yep, technique is everything. Very easy to cold lap! We welded Sch 60 pipe open root in all positions. Etched and bend tested in all positions. Used Co2 for gas. If I remember right, I had a small lack of fusion on one of my downhill coupons. Not enough to fail though!:thumbsup:

Yeah got a little fire storm going there didn't I? I knew Lawson was going to have a fit, we have had words before. After our screaming match on the telephone he finely seen it my way that not everybody works to code. Stickman and I kissed and made up through PMs, that was all a misunderstanding on my part! Come to find out he is a pretty good kid!
Glad it cooled down!

/ Shielding gases #15  
If you really want to turbo charge your welds, go with some C10. Or 98% argon, and 2% oxygen.
This weld was made with C10.
You forgot to mention the industrial machine needed to even get into spray transfer. From what I recall reading even a 250 class machine (linde and esab exempt) that can get into spray transfer will have such a low duty cycle at that point, that it is almost slower than short circuit mig. So it seems if your serious about spray transfer, you need something like your invertec or a 350 amp+ transformer.

/ Shielding gases #16  
Very true!;) And it is very hard on equipment. The contact tip on my 200-amp Mig gun was soft and wanted to bend after a few beads.:shocked: If I ever do much spray welding I'll have to use my 400-amp gun.

/ Shielding gases #17  
Pulse Trumps Spray any day. You do need about 90% argon to get to spray but remember the old 75/22/3 Argon Co2 with 2-3% O2..You could get close to true spray with a smaller machine ( ESAB 250 ) but you suffer from adding Oxides to your welds. Some still believe in it. Praxair called it Stargon. Old School gas.

/ Shielding gases #18  
C10 is a great gas for Stainless too. 2nd only to 85Ar/13HE/2Co2. <-- gives a sweet straw color to your beads as opposed to blackend/gray beads. The newer equipment out there runs CO2 very well and you can tell the difference but the spatter is nearly gone. Gun possition is a major factor with spatter too.

/ Shielding gases #19  
Years ago I ran a lot of stainless steel Mig, we used a tri-gas. I think it was called Blue Shield, seems like it had argon, CO2, and helium, but I don't remember the ratios.:confused3:

/ Shielding gases #20  
Blueshield is air liquides house brand, almost everything they sell is called that. I know they do have a blue Shield tri mix, so that is likely it.