Shift on the go 5500?

/ Shift on the go 5500? #1  

KennethBrown

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5500
I've had my 5500 for about 2 weeks now. The thing is a horse, it has yanked anything I have thought about throwing it at. I love my toy. It does have what I percieve to be a problem though. In the manual it says the speed shift (1-4) can be changed while on the go. I can usually upshift but can never downshift. And yes I am using the clutch. I also have to double shift it for 1 to reverse and vice-versa. I push the clutch, take out of reverse, let out on clutch, push clutch in again, and then go into 1. I haven't called the dealer yet as they are about 45 miles away. The thought of spending 25-30 on gas just to adjust the clutch doesn't sound right to me. I can adjust it if that is all that is necc. What do ya'll think?

/ Shift on the go 5500? #2  
Not sure exactly. Do you mean you can't shift from 4 to 3, or are you skipping from 4 to 2 or 4 to 1? You should be able to shift on the fly as you suggest. I guess I would have to suspect the clutch adjustment as you stated if something is still spinning that is preventing you from shifting.

Also, what is your throttle set to when you are doing this? When shifting it has been recommended for the health and wear on the clutch to reduce to idle engine speeds. This is easier if you are just using the foot control.

Congrats on your new machine!

/ Shift on the go 5500?
Always just one gear at a time. I do let off the gas pedal to shift, I am usually coasting when I want to downshift. I think I'll look at the adjustment some.

/ Shift on the go 5500? #4  
I'm assuming you have the 4WD and shuttle. Two wheel drive models are not completely synchro and have no shuttle. I found that the 4WD models need some wear in on the gears. My 6000 was very "stiff" when it was new. Now a shade north of 200 hours and it shifts great. I've never had to adjust the clutch, and I keep about 3/4 to 1 inch play at the top end. You will find that the more you use the 5500 the easier it will be. Be advised though, its not a car. Upshift on the go, but almost come to a stop to downshift from 3 to 2 etc. BobG in VA

/ Shift on the go 5500?
Nope, its 2wd. The manual says that it is fully syncrinized (sp?) and is shift on the go. I can upshift, its the downshift that is the problem. I don't know if everything is wearing in or I am getting use to it but it is working better. There is no downshift at all unless stopped though.

/ Shift on the go 5500? #6  
If I'm not mistaken (much of the time I am though), the 2WD drive models are synchro in 3rd and 4th only. As you might image this helps a bunch for road driving, going from one field to the other, etc. I don't think they are sychro in 1 & 2 without the shuttle. Suggest you try to go from 5th gear (1H) to 6th on the go and see if its fully synchro. BobG in VA

/ Shift on the go 5500?
Well I looked at the manual again. It does not say fully snycro, it says constant mesh. It does say that I should be able to shift on the go as long as I do like we say.

/ Shift on the go 5500? #8  
When you downshift you have to wind the motor a little to "match" the engine RPM to the speed of the transmission. I have a 5005 and the 2-3 shift usually knocks 2 or 3 times before falling in but 3-4 is usually smooth unless I fat finger something. Downshifting is more like a big truck. But constant mesh is different from full synchronization. I don't know of any geared tractor that will shift like an automotive tranny. And yes, it will get easier as the tranny wears a bit and you get used to it some more.