Shipping a tractor

/ Shipping a tractor #1  

Bdavis

Silver Member
Tractor
4500 mahindra FEL
I owned a 45 hp tractor for about 12 years. Sold it last year because my needs changed over the years. Because of my age I really do not want to buy a new tractor. However, I know that the chance of me finding one locally that would meet all my requirements ( less than 25 hp, 4 wheel drive hydrostatic transmission, front end loader with 3rd function, backhoe, low hours below 200) are going to be slim. I created a uship account and posted a load for a tractor 700 miles away that I liked just to see the response. Really would like some advice on the best way to select a shipper if I do find a tractor I want. Thanks for the help

/ Shipping a tractor #2  
Go get it yourself, that's what I just did,

Resized-20240220-135206-S.jpg

I saved some money and went a bit out of my way coming back, to visit some friends I had not seen in many years.

SR

/ Shipping a tractor #4  
I bought my tractor about 200 miles away, looked for a shipper, then decided to do it myself. I kept getting emails from shippers wanting to ship my
"car". Guess they couldn't read "tractor". Now, almost a year later, I have finally stopped getting emails from shippers. Tomorrow, I will be hauling it to my place in Arkansas.

/ Shipping a tractor #6  
I've had some troubles renting a good trailer from mainstream vendors. However, there are several people on Craigslist that seem to be renting trailers for about $100 a day that should be able to handle a small tractor/backhoe like the Kubota B26.

700 miles puts you at 2 days RT. Maybe 300 miles and you can do up and back in a day.

As far as finding shippers, inquire locally. Do you have a local equipment auction house? They should have a list of local shipping companies. You don't have to tell them you're looking elsewhere for the tractor.

/ Shipping a tractor #7  
Do search of the area where tractor located for rent trailer or truck on way.

/ Shipping a tractor #8  
I owned a 45 hp tractor for about 12 years. Sold it last year because my needs changed over the years. Because of my age I really do not want to buy a new tractor. However, I know that the chance of me finding one locally that would meet all my requirements ( less than 25 hp, 4 wheel drive hydrostatic transmission, front end loader with 3rd function, backhoe, low hours below 200) are going to be slim. I created a uship account and posted a load for a tractor 700 miles away that I liked just to see the response. Really would like some advice on the best way to select a shipper if I do find a tractor I want. Thanks for the help
First thing is that having shopped used tractors over the years, you need to see and run what you are about to buy and understand what is there and what isn't or broken and what would it take to fix it.

I recently bought another tractor, used and somewhat vintage and shipping and sitting in the seat and running it were both problems for me. I kept looking around and luckily found a better tractor aligned with my needs that was 20 miles from the farm with free delivery and payment upon arrival at my farm......I can't tell you how much of a "what if" solver that was for an old man who farms alone.

Obviously I am a Texan and was looking at a tractor in Indiana in which I was keenly interested. It had both of the problems mentioned. I was carelessly thinking that I would take what comes on condition (risky thought) but shipping was a real concern. I decided to ask the seller, a business, how do do they ship tractors and contacted their suggested agent. I made a few phone calls and my opinion is that a lot can (or cannot) happen in a shipment and I didn't want to pace the floor at night, rather than sleeping comfortably, worrying about what I bought and would it get here intact.

That's one man's opinion and worth what you paid for it. Good luck.

/ Shipping a tractor
First thing is that having shopped used tractors over the years, you need to see and run what you are about to buy and understand what is there and what isn't or broken and what would it take to fix it.

I recently bought another tractor, used and somewhat vintage and shipping and sitting in the seat and running it were both problems for me. I kept looking around and luckily found a better tractor aligned with my needs that was 20 miles from the farm with free delivery and payment upon arrival at my farm......I can't tell you how much of a "what if" solver that was for an old man who farms alone.

Obviously I am a Texan and was looking at a tractor in Indiana in which I was keenly interested. It had both of the problems mentioned. I was carelessly thinking that I would take what comes on condition (risky thought) but shipping was a real concern. I decided to ask the seller, a business, how do do they ship tractors and contacted their suggested agent. I made a few phone calls and my opinion is that a lot can (or cannot) happen in a shipment and I didn't want to pace the floor at night, rather than sleeping comfortably, worrying about what I bought and would it get here intact.

That's one man's opinion and worth what you paid for it. Good luck.
We are on the same page. I would not buy anything without touching it and running it. I will be patient, I have a small hobby farm/orchard and do not live at the farm. I am only there probably 1/3 of my time so actual seat time on the tractor will be low. (another reason not to get a new one). I have my place developed enough I could actually live without a tractor if I had too. I can rent a little Kubota about 60 miles away and plan on doing that first to make sure it will fit my needs. Thanks

/ Shipping a tractor
I've had some troubles renting a good trailer from mainstream vendors. However, there are several people on Craigslist that seem to be renting trailers for about $100 a day that should be able to handle a small tractor/backhoe like the Kubota B26.

700 miles puts you at 2 days RT. Maybe 300 miles and you can do up and back in a day.

As far as finding shippers, inquire locally. Do you have a local equipment auction house? They should have a list of local shipping companies. You don't have to tell them you're looking elsewhere for the tractor.
I think renting a trailer that will do the job and not overwhelm my truck is going to be difficult. Got a 2019 Nissan frontier king cab towing capacity 6700. Tractor with backhoe going to be 3000 to 3500. A 16 foot trailer would be big enough but light enough. The 20 foot trailers I have found to rent or 4000 lbs not ideal