Shop First or House First?

/ Shop First or House First? #1  

ChevyHDGert

We've got 4 acres of open pasture except for the 6 live oak trees that we've planted.

We're going to do a water well and electricity this spring with the house and 30x40 metal building coming in 2-3 years.

Should we build the shop first (about a year before the house) or should we build the house first? We're both in a hurry to move from our smaller starter house in town to a bigger house in the country for our 2 boys to roam.

I'm afraid if we build the house first that the wife will keep putting off the shop plus the money may not be there.

Or would it be beneficial to do them both at the same time to combine the building loans into one and to tie in all the plumbing and electrical together with the house?

If we did the shop first, the house would come a year or 2 later. The shop first also gives us a place to store all the lawn equipment, etc.

/ Shop First or House First? #2  
Lots to be said for building the shop first... a dry, sheltered place to work and store materials...

I have friends that built their shop... 50% bigger than they thought necessary and used it as their home with the help of an inexpensive travel trailer during the home construction...

Just something to think about...

/ Shop First or House First? #3  
I'd do the shop first or double up on the loan. If you combine loans now, the extra in the monthly payment will hardly be noticeble. If you build the house first it'll be YEARS before you get the shop. Even new houses seem to be expensive.

Wedge

/ Shop First or House First? #4  
I built my shop first. Best thing I could have done!:) As has been said, storing tools and building materials was my primary reason, and it worked out great for my builder, very secure. I also put a small fridge and microwave and bed chesterfield in there and spent weekends in the garage until the house was done. Like I said, best thing I ever did!

/ Shop First or House First? #5  
I vote for shop first. We stored our household stuff in the shop/garage and lived in a camp trailer while the house was built. Also great for tools and materials temp storage.

You definitly need a master plan for water/elec, etc. no matter what order you build in, otherwise you will end up paying more in the end.
Dave.

/ Shop First or House First? #6  
Shop first or it may never get built. The Mrs. will make sure the house gets built regardless:D

/ Shop First or House First? #7  
I'd build the shop, for all the above mentioned reasons.
I built a small temporary house in 2003 with plans to finish it, plus build a garage the next year. i changed jobs a year later and am still in the same cabin.

I'm finally getting around to pouring the garage slab next month... if it doesn't snow first.
Next spring I'll finally pour a foundation to build my real home.

/ Shop First or House First? #8  
I know of several couples that built their shop first, built it 40 x 36 devide off 12ft down one side, was able to get them 12 x 12 livingroom 1-12x 12 bedroom small bath and a kitchenet, they lived in this while building the house, and still had all the other side of shop for storage, after house is built you have 2 things you can do, keep the finish part as a doghouse:D or in-law/guest house, You did say you have two boys, they will get grown upin a hurry;) then of course option -B - take down the wall and demo the finish rooms and put all back to shop area, which none of the folks I know have done, they found the extra guest house to be useful,;) one of thee people did turn it in to a recreation room with pool table pinball etc, BTW my son loved that room :D

/ Shop First or House First? #9  
Build the house first so it can be behind you. If you do the shop, scope creep may come into play with the house (and that ain't pretty). Once the house is done, let the man cave(s) begin!

/ Shop First or House First? #10  
Build the shop first, you may not live long enough to get it built otherwise. Live in the shop to guard the place while the house is being built. I like the trailer idea to.