Shop ideas to consider

/ Shop ideas to consider #71  
I like to do electronic and delicate work on a bench I can sit at. I don't want to stand. Sitting allows me to rest my elbows on the bench, which helps me steady my hands.

A nice, lit, magnifying glass on an arm is pretty handy, too.

/ Shop ideas to consider #72  
I like to do electronic and delicate work on a bench I can sit at. I don't want to stand. Sitting allows me to rest my elbows on the bench, which helps me steady my hands.

A nice, lit, magnifying glass on an arm is pretty handy, too.
This is the setup at the new place... the family removed all the shop benches, etc before I bought but they left the electronics bench in the far corner...

It's sit-down with magnifying lamp on a swing arm along with several analog meters, power supply, iron holder, etc.

I've been here since 2017 and still finding things... being that it was an estate selling there was no one to ask specifics and there are light switches that remain a mystery...

In fairness, shorty after I bought I moved back to moms place to proved care so I was only a daily visitor to my new place...

The other day I opened a island kitchen cabinet and was surprised to find a full kitchen mixer.... 7 years and didn't know it was here...

Attachments

• 17105196817143804657069189843005.jpg
    17105196817143804657069189843005.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
   / Shop ideas to consider #73  
I agree with WinterDeere on the floor drain. I'll never recommend draining water under the overhead door.

Workbench, I like having two of them. The first one is against the wall and any size. The second one is 4'x8' and placed about 42" away from the first one.

This lets me work on all 4 sides. And it is big enough I can have 2 or more small projects going at the same time.

Also, if you have a table saw, and if the bench height is 1/2" shorter than the saw, you can use it as a run-out table.

/ Shop ideas to consider #74  
I agree with WinterDeere on the floor drain. I'll never recommend draining water under the overhead door.
I've thought about drains some. I think I'd rather have a flat/level floor with no drains. Easier to align stuff if the floor is flat.

I don't want to tie a shop drain into the septic tank. If it came out of a car/truck/tractor/whatever, I probably don't want it in the septic, and don't want to drain it onto the neighbor's property either.

I can do some washing outside if necessary.

/ Shop ideas to consider #75  
I have found these rolling carts to be great. Sturdy & inexpensive at around $110 on Amazon or at Harbor Freight. I’m making a top for one to use as a rolling workbench.
1710523289312.jpeg

Also brush seals around corrugated rollup doors working well to reduce drafts and critters entering. By JaCor:
1710523522729.jpeg

/ Shop ideas to consider #76  
I like those carts because they are light and inexpensive... paid $88 pre pandemic.

That said, I let a friend borrow one and he set a 3/4 hp water pump in the middle of the top shelf and left it there... the shelf cracked.

I added a some scrap plywood as a shelf liner after that.

The concentrated weight over time was the reason it failed...

/ Shop ideas to consider #77  
I've thought about drains some. I think I'd rather have a flat/level floor with no drains. Easier to align stuff if the floor is flat.

I don't want to tie a shop drain into the septic tank. If it came out of a car/truck/tractor/whatever, I probably don't want it in the septic, and don't want to drain it onto the neighbor's property either.

I can do some washing outside if necessary.
Most of them drain into the sump pump in the basement or a dry-well. I think the town folks are plumbed into the storm sewer.

/ Shop ideas to consider #78  
This is the setup at the new place... the family removed all the shop benches, etc before I bought but they left the electronics bench in the far corner...

It's sit-down with magnifying lamp on a swing arm along with several analog meters, power supply, iron holder, etc.

I've been here since 2017 and still finding things... being that it was an estate selling there was no one to ask specifics and there are light switches that remain a mystery...

In fairness, shorty after I bought I moved back to moms place to proved care so I was only a daily visitor to my new place...

The other day I opened an island kitchen cabinet and was surprised to find a full kitchen mixer.... 7 years and didn't know it was here...
That's a hefty can opener! (y)

/ Shop ideas to consider #80  
I have found these rolling carts to be great. Sturdy & inexpensive at around $110 on Amazon or at Harbor Freight. I’m making a top for one to use as a rolling workbench.
View attachment 857314

Also brush seals around corrugated rollup doors working well to reduce drafts and critters entering. By JaCor:

I have four of those in my shop, and I use them a lot.