Shop roof for 30x60

/ Shop roof for 30x60 #1  

cgetsinger

Tractor
Craftsman FF 18
OK, so i'm back to the drawing board. I bought a 30x60 shed with trusses 10 oc with 2x6 purlings in between the trusses on edge. It had a ridge vent when i took it all apart. It was a open shed with no walls. I am planning to turn it into a shop of 30x60x14. Now my issue is how do i seal the top of the roof and do away with the ridge vent. I am planning to heat it either via tube heating in the concrete or some other means. it will not be heated all the time because this will be a "hobby" shop to work on stuff and kill time. It will be a open truss ceiling and have a 2 post lift in it. Some of my main things i'm trying to decide is do i do a perma column type for the 6x6 post every 10oc or plant the post 3.5 feet in the ground via concrete. Second it the ridge vent, and third is insulation issue. I would love to do spray foam, but i simply can not afford it. The roof is metal along with the sides. I will have 2 12' roll up doors on one of the Gable ends and a side entrance door. I plan to add a lean to off one side of about 12x30 for my boat to be under. I am on a very limited budget due to being disabled so money has to go along way. I hope this is clear to yalll reading this. I am open to any suggestions and any help. Thanks for reading my post. Attached is some of the pics of the shed before it was torn down to be moved to my place.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    900.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    849.5 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    864 KB · Views: 170
   / Shop roof for 30x60 #2  
They make a foam gasket that tucks into the gaps under the ridge piece to seal the channel openings in the roofing. If you can track some down, that's the best option. Normally for vented ridges, a similar product is used but its porous. You want the same thing but solid foam.

/ Shop roof for 30x60
If i use the foam board for insulation in the roof, would i need to put a vapor barrier up also?

/ Shop roof for 30x60 #5  
They make a ridge cap piece that you just screw down also, at least they do for "R" panel. Might check around with your suppliers and see what they can do for you. You wont have to worry about the foam insulation strips either. I have some from my shop I could take a photo of if you'd like.

One tip:, If you are for sure going to add the lean-to, you may want to put up the exterior wall, with a joint in the siding at the height you want the lean-to to start. That way all you have to do is remove the screws along the joint (where the panels meet) install an piece of "L" flashing behind the upper piece, that extends over your lean-to roof, Allot easier than trying to cut a "slit" later.