shopping for a car lift

/ shopping for a car lift #21  
Dargo said:
Uh, well, can I wait until after my attorneys finish with an issue this week before I reply? :eek:
Sure ... we don't even have the concrete down yet .... so it's not like that would be holding me up. :D

/ shopping for a car lift #22  
I installed a lift earlier this year, and yes it is one of less expensive ones....
The motor-pump was made in USA..WI.
I took my time and set it up perfect! I have no issues at all with it.
No damage what so ever when unpacked.
It got it at Greg Smith Epuipment in Indy.
Needless to say I'm very pleased with it.
I'd all so say most problems would be not being installed correctly as in
anchored down or an unbalanced load!
I'm 2 hr's north of Smith so with gas plus 2 heavy jack stands I have about
$2000 in mine...money very well spent.
Here's a few pic's for those intrested
BTW it's a 9000lb
geno42's photos and albums on webshots
Gene

/ shopping for a car lift #23  
GEB said:
No damage what so ever when unpacked.

Well, you have beat on that one. :eek: I finally got things settled Friday with my lift. Although my lift is made with all U.S. made steel and U.S. made components (except a hydraulic line elbow; I can see "China" clearly marked on that elbow) I cannot and will not recommend the manufacturer. Unfortunately, due to legal agreements I cannot name the manufacturer. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought from a local vendor with a local brick and mortar shop close to me. Although I ended up with a 10k 2 post U.S. manufactured lift for less than your lift, it was not worth all the trouble when all was said and done. One of my main concerns with the origin of manufacture of the steel was because of the fact that I will always have a car up on the lift. All import lifts I checked out advised against storing a vehicle on their 2 post lifts where the U.S. made lift manufacturer said that it was no problem and that their lift was approved for such use.

Since I'm going to keep a vehicle stored on the lift at all times, and most jobs I do will not require suspension or wheel work, I'm making a pair of drive on ramps to attach to the lift arms on either side that will allow my 2 post lift to work like a 4 post lift; with drive on ramps.

I'll also agree that setting up the lift properly is extremely important. Although my lift always functioned fine and the issue was shipping damage, I had my lift inspected and measured several times by "professionals" sent in from the manufacturer to try to prove that I did something wrong. I went through much more trouble than the professional installers said they would have and I worried about smaller measurements than they would have bothered with. Still, they did say that having the lift installed properly was extremely important to the lift's performance and it's predicted lifespan.

Oh, not that it matters, but I'm curious as to where they change from 2 hp pump to 3 hp pumps. My lift is a 10k lift and has a 220 volt 3 hp pump. I'm wondering if there is any difference between a 9k lift and a 10k lift besides the size of the lift cylinders. I know the 10k lifts have slightly larger lift cylinders (whoopie), but I don't know if the 9k lift uses a 2 hp pump or a 3 hp pump. Do you know which yours is?

/ shopping for a car lift #24  
I just went and had a look.
Oops, my bad, motor was made in Rockford IL not Wi. 2HP 220V
Sorry to hear about your troubles, it least all is good now.
I had checked on a place just west of me (ph call) they wanted $4500
for their USA made lift, I'm very lucky to have the one I have!
I work on the repair floor at FoMoCo. Chicago Assy. where we have sevreal lifts
made in the USA this one dont scare me any more than the ones at work.
For the most part I'm picking up Jeeps, gear, axle, sup, type of work.
My 2007 F250 4X4 weighs around 6500lbs so I should fine.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a $1500-$2000 lift but this one
seems to be well worth the cost, fit and finish is very good!
One thing for sure, life in my shop is much easier ;)
I also know about China steel v's USA I think I'll be fine and yes I've
got more than 1 China hose fitting.
Speaking of steel my post are larger in diamiter compared to the lifts at work,
I guess to compensate for the poor quailty steel.......
Also the lifts at work are 7000lb.
Gene

/ shopping for a car lift #25  
Oh, I'm confident you'll be fine. As I said, if I had to do it over again, I likely would have just gone to the same dealer you used and just picked up a 12k lift. I think I'd have been just as happy with the lift and I doubt I'd have had all the troubles I've had so far. It looks like you have the same idea as I would have, buy a lift rated higher than you'll ever need. Also, I've noticed that the large Dodge dealership in my town uses 7k lifts only in their shop (about 40 of them) and I know they pick up some 1 ton duallys with work beds on them that weigh 8500 or more.

What do you think of the idea of having drive on ramps to use when you would be doing any work other than suspension or wheel work? I like the 2 post system better, but I've found myself going back and using my floor jack and jack stands to change the oil in my vehicles because it's too much trouble to take my car down, change the adapters on the pads, put the new vehicle on the lift, get on the creeper and adjust each of the 4 pads just right and then lift the vehicle. With drive on / drive off ramps, I think I'd be more likely to take my show car down, roll it off, and drive another vehicle on for a quick oil change. I found the idea from one company who makes them for 2 post lifts, but they want $1500 for the ramps! :eek: I think I can make a good set of aluminum ramps to work the same way for a three hundred bucks or so. I have an engineer from a metal working place here in town working on designing the ramps. I want them to be strong enough to hold my 7500 pound truck, but also light enough for me to take on and off by myself without having to use my forklift to do so.

/ shopping for a car lift #26  
I know exactly what you mean, some aluminum ramps would be idea!
As a matter of fact I thought about something like that for my Harley,
cleaning the underside maybe less of a chore if it was up in the air
unlike the small bike lift I use.
Ya might even figure out a way to hang the ramps on the post so
there out of the way when using the pads.
I do all sorts fab work, metal..jeeps.. I dont see making them to be much of a problem.
Like you said $3-$400 ought to build a nice set.
So what sits on your lift full time?