Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #31  
I would go with the Diesel one. The commercial guys I know who have used Hustler mowers have had good things to say about them and diesel will be less thirsty than gas. Additionally, as you said, resale will be better with Diesel.

Aaron Z

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #32  
Diesel! No more gas cans.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #33  
The main reason I would choose the diesel is because I could write off the fuel (tractor fuel used for "farming") and I could get it cheaper because it's off road diesel.

The second reason would be longevity.

The third reason would be resale, if needed.

I had ruled it out before because that same mower (new) runs north of $13k and I wasn't going to spend that much.

If I can talk him down to $8k, it seems like a real deal at >150 hours!

Sent from my Motorola Photon using TractorByNet for Android

Can't give any advice on which machine as I have no experience with any of them. Just wanted to say that if you want a diesel, and can afford it, get it. I wanted a diesel mower, but do to cost, and having to purchase sooner than I wanted, I settled for an x530. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my x530 and think its prefect for what I use it for, but I still wish I had a diesel. Mainly because I could use the bulk fuel and not have to carry 5 gallon cans out so often, and of course simply because I like the sound and smell of diesel better. Good luck with your decision, I doubt you will be able to ho wrong with any of the commercial grade units, they are all pretty darn nice.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #34  
The main reason I would choose the diesel is because I could write off the fuel (tractor fuel used for "farming") and I could get it cheaper because it's off road diesel.

The second reason would be longevity.

The third reason would be resale, if needed.

I had ruled it out before because that same mower (new) runs north of $13k and I wasn't going to spend that much.

If I can talk him down to $8k, it seems like a real deal at >150 hours!

Sent from my Motorola Photon using TractorByNet for Android

I understand what you're saying, but I've probably only used about 100 gallons of diesel in my big bota this past year I am guessing I will get back about $0.80/gal. or about $80 overall. For my ZTR I used at most maybe 30 gallons (Never mowed in July b/c of heat) On top of that, a dedicated mower like this will probably get used for about 45 hours or less each year. (30 weeks * 1.5hrs/mowing) I put a total of 15 hours on mine and used it all of last year and had 1.5 acres to mow (takes about 30mins). I will have 3 acres this summer after some additional clearing.

In the end...what I am saying is if you have a cut and the ztr will be just for mowing, you may not use the ztr enough on your own property to make the diesel ztr pay for itself. On top of that if you say a gasser is good for at least 1500hrs, you'd be able to use if for 30 years at 50hrs/yr. So, for a cut I would say diesel is the way to go, but gas for a ztr unless using it commercially.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
I understand what you're saying, but I've probably only used about 100 gallons of diesel in my big bota this past year I am guessing I will get back about $0.80/gal. or about $80 overall. For my ZTR I used at most maybe 30 gallons (Never mowed in July b/c of heat) On top of that, a dedicated mower like this will probably get used for about 45 hours or less each year. (30 weeks * 1.5hrs/mowing) I put a total of 15 hours on mine and used it all of last year and had 1.5 acres to mow (takes about 30mins). I will have 3 acres this summer after some additional clearing.

In the end...what I am saying is if you have a cut and the ztr will be just for mowing, you may not use the ztr enough on your own property to make the diesel ztr pay for itself. On top of that if you say a gasser is good for at least 1500hrs, you'd be able to use if for 30 years at 50hrs/yr. So, for a cut I would say diesel is the way to go, but gas for a ztr unless using it commercially.
That's a good point. The only reason I'm adding it to the list is because it's only $1500 above the average of the "new" gasser equivalents (I talked the guy down to $8000 tonight). And the fact that it's a 66" over the 61" standard is a bit of a plus.

I'm still entertaining the rest, and I'm conversing with a Ferris/Simplicity dealer online right now. The only downside is that I'm going to finance this purchase, and the used 2008 Hustler Diesel has a much higher APR% than the others being used... Luckily it's still only March, so I have time if I don't get the deal I want.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #36  
I ran Exmarks for 4 years with the 66" decks. I loved the 66" deck. You have more trimming ability with them vs a 60" due to the further reach on the trim side, and kinda get the time savings of the larger 72". Exmark and Hustler are the only brands that offer a 66".

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #37  
TSO,

Regarding PhilY comments - I cut 2.5 acres and run about 40 hours a year including fall cleanups on two other properties. On average the IS2000 consumes about 1.25 gal per hour so about 50 gal per year @ 3.50/gal or $175. I get $300 for the cleanups so make a few $ on the side offsetting the operating expenses.

I too would like a diesel - the IS2500 has a Yanmar I liked a lot but I got the left over Ferris gas unit in 2010 for $7K. The Hustler you are looking at is a nice unit too. I suspect the diesel units will use about .75 GPH so using the same math .75x40 hours 30-35 gal per year @ $4.00 a gal or $120. Saving $50-70 per year.

At the end of the day financing $8K over 2-3 years for a used machine may be more than the operating cost of a gas unit.

I would drive them both, (Hustler diesel used and IS2000) and decide which one you like better, also the IS2000 suspension is fully independent where the IS700 is not.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #38  
When I was looking, I considered going diesel because they last longer then gas, but when I figured out that I would only use my mower less then 100 hours a year, and I could get 2,000 hours out of a gas engine, I just got to wondering how many other 20 year old pieces of machinery that I wanted to keep putting money into and when it's time to buy another one? Do you want it for 30 years or will you want to replace it once everything else starts wearing out?

Eddie

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
I have no problem keeping things while they work. But you're making a good point Eddie.

---
And to throw another one into the mix again... a Ferris dealer I'm working with online just quoted me:
New Ferris IS2000z 61" with 26hp Kaw FX810 - $8k plus tax & shipping (still working on the shipping quote). Better financing being new, 0% for 48 or 2.9% for 60.. the dealer that had that used Hustler 66" diesel says they can do 12.3% for 53mo, so I'd have to shop around for a better rate for that one anyhow.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #40  
I have no problem keeping things while they work. But you're making a good point Eddie.

---
And to throw another one into the mix again... a Ferris dealer I'm working with online just quoted me:
New Ferris IS2000z 61" with 26hp Kaw FX810 - $8k plus tax & shipping (still working on the shipping quote). Better financing being new, 0% for 48 or 2.9% for 60.. the dealer that had that used Hustler 66" diesel says they can do 12.3% for 53mo, so I'd have to shop around for a better rate for that one anyhow.

If the Ferris is being shipped from out of state Why are you paying tax?