Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #1  

InThinAir

Tractor
Kubota L3130
New to the forum, lot of great information on here to review.

I have a small piece of property that I will have horses on. I will also be leasing access to adjacent property, 2 Sections, for running a small herd of cattle. In SW Colorado I will have to feed them in the winter. So I will need to move around some round bales or large squares. The terrain is a little difficult and I have a steep graded road to get down with the bales to where I will winter the cattle. Around me is a very large Kubota dealer and a smallish JD dealer. So I am focusing on those brands. I don't want to spend over 20k for the CUT with a FEL, and a small manure spreader (<30 bushel).

What would you recommend? I am totally open, hoping to buy in the spring.

Your input is appreciated

---Doug

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #2  
If you have to feed cattle in the winter a small cut less than $20k isn't going to get it done unless you are looking at buying used. NO way in the world you're going to move round bales or big square bales up and down a steep grade. I've pushed my 4600 to the limits and on flat ground or slightly hilly terrain it's ok but marginal. On sidehills or slippery ground with slopes forget it you are a goner. To safely handle that kind of terrain and in the middle of winter you are going to need to step up to a utility tractor.

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #3  
You spend $20k on a CUT to do this work, you'll be sorely diapointed. You better think 80lb bales or a bigger machine. I really like industrials for loader work due to beefy front ends, built in ballast and low center gravity.

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch
That wasn't what I was hoping to hear. I hate to have to buy a huge tractor for just moving a round bale 1/4 mile once a week. I guess my best bet might be some sort of 4 wheel cart behind the CUT? Just set the heavy stuff on there and then hook it up and drive it to the feeder, unhook and unload? I am assuming your 4600 is around 45 HP? And it can barely lift a round bale? or barely drive around with it? I was hoping to stay under 20k which puts me in the under 40hp range? Could something like a 4410 lift a round bale and move it from a barn to a cart?

Thanks,
Doug

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #5  
Doug,

I don't know what size bales you are planning on lifting but I'm at the limit with the 4600. The 6x5 round bales I don't do on any kind of a hill and I have to have a bale on back to lift it. As long as the ground is flat it's no problem but getting on hills is tricky. With the 5x5's it's a little easier but still you have to be careful and I would not even attempt to go up and down a steep slope with one. I don't see anyway that a 4410 could do the job.

What I would do if I was in your shoes is buy an older Case, IH, etc. full size tractor to move my bales. Alot of those can be had for $5k or less. Then spend the $20k on your 4410. Even an older wore out one will last you for many years just moving bales and such. You'll never be sorry you have two tractors.

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was hoping to stay under 20k which puts me in the under 40hp range? )</font>

If you are talking John Deere or Kubota you are probably right. If you can open your eyes up to outside the big three you have several options.

I paid $17,700 for my Century 3045 with heavy duty loader and 6'box blade. It is a 48 gross hp tractor. It weighs 5215 lbs with the loader. The 3 pt has a 2,580 lbs lifting force and the C-50HL loader has a 2,540 lb lifting force at the pivots.

Still not sure if I would drive it up a steep hill with snow though with a big square bale. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kioti and Mahindra also make some nice tractors in this range for less $$$ than the big 3. Shopping is free.. I think there are still some options out there for you if you do your homework.

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #7  
I agree with the others... You are looking at a minimum of 48hp.. preferably much more. Tractor frame size will play abig role. I'd also have a bale spear for the fel, and the rear. depending on which way you have to tote those bales. I think you are not going to be happy unless you are in the utility area.. perhaps 60+ hp. That gives you a big tractor to move bales.. and extra hp when you need it.

Go to a dealer.. look for trade ins.. that are only 1-2 years old. I got a steal on my NH 7610s as it was traded in on something smaller.. the orchard owner kept hitting tree limbs with it.. so it had some bent sheet metal and super low hours.. I got a huge discount on a brand new large tractor that way...

Soundguy

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess my best bet might be some sort of 4 wheel cart behind the CUT? Just set the heavy stuff on there and then hook it up and drive it to the feeder, unhook and unload? )</font>

you still have to load those bales on the cart! i think u might be wll advised to go larger and pre-owned to fit your needs and your budget.

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2 Sections, for running a small herd )</font>

Are you planning on haying this (you need a fleet of utility tractors) or having this custom hired? Bigger operators offer wrapped bales. You might could go with wrapped bales in a fenced feed area and never move a bale, or move bales just outside a fenced of storage pen. Best separate cows and hay. It doesn't take them long to figure out what's under the plastic and get into them. There are a lot of guys who don't even put hay up or wrap it down here. It sits out all winter and they lose around 10-15%. Possibly less for CO as you get more frozen precip. Doc or one of the other cattle operators could probably give you other advice. I don't raise cattle, but hire out to the neighbors quite a bi during hay time.

/ Shopping for CUT for Small Ranch #10  
I will also be leasing access to adjacent property, 2 Sections, for running a small herd of cattle.

Doug,
When you said "2 Sections", did you mean it as two sections as in land measure at 640 acres each or two "parcels" of some other acreage? That might have an impact also.