Short box vs 8 foot box

/ Short box vs 8 foot box
I've been stewing and Diamonpilot is right. I need a 1 ton. I looked at the payload and tow capacity of 3/4 tons and they are not particularly spectacular.

By next week, I'll be posting that I need a 5 ton, and then........:D

I want to be able to do "real work" and be safe and legal at the same time. The authorities around here are really starting to enforce weight rules. They started by picking off all the mini vans that were towing stuff and now they're onto any vehicle with a company name on it. Next will be the half and 3/4 tons for sure.

/ Short box vs 8 foot box #82  
I've been stewing and Diamonpilot is right. I need a 1 ton. I looked at the payload and tow capacity of 3/4 tons and they are not particularly spectacular.

By next week, I'll be posting that I need a 5 ton, and then........:D

I want to be able to do "real work" and be safe and legal at the same time. The authorities around here are really starting to enforce weight rules. They started by picking off all the mini vans that were towing stuff and now they're onto any vehicle with a company name on it. Next will be the half and 3/4 tons for sure.

I have to agree with LB that a 1 ton and up flat bed with stake pockets and removable sides is a very utilitarian truck. If it dumps, even better. Mileage will suck, but if you only drive it when you need it, so what?

Your worst problem will be all the folks who want to borrow it :D
Dave.

/ Short box vs 8 foot box #83  
For Mjncad---The Prius lady appeared to be from Marin County just north of the SF bay area. Marin County is a hotbed of environmentalists, tree huggers, and other assorted activists. Marin County is also loaded with money and I'll bet they don't suffer for all the necessities of life even if it doesn't quite square with the environment. I was on my way to pick my wife up at Guide Dogs For The Blind school when I encountered the lady. My wife got a good laugh over the whole thing. Mike.

I was on my way to pick my wife up at Guide Dogs For The Blind school when I encountered the lady.

Well, geniuses like her can tell just by looking at someone whether or not they are a horrible person - facts be darned!

Good for you, good story too.

Jim

/ Short box vs 8 foot box #85  

Ah, sounds like Gummint revenue enhancement at work.

For Mjncad---The Prius lady appeared to be from Marin County just north of the SF bay area. Marin County is a hotbed of environmentalists, tree huggers, and other assorted activists. Marin County is also loaded with money and I'll bet they don't suffer for all the necessities of life even if it doesn't quite square with the environment. I was on my way to pick my wife up at Guide Dogs For The Blind school when I encountered the lady. My wife got a good laugh over the whole thing. Mike.

I've visited Marin County numerous times and I like it except for...tree huggers, various touchy-feely Kumbaya types, the cost of living, California politics, etc. California is a prime example of a beautiful place wrecked by do gooders.

California is a prime example of a beautiful place wrecked by do gooders.

You made me laugh out loud! Don't get me wrong, I do care about the planet and my fellow humans, and all of God's creatures etc. But, I do NOT care for more regulations, more fees, more government. Ha ha ha. You really made me laugh. My wife is wondering if I've gone insane down in the office. :laughing:

/ Short box vs 8 foot box #87  
After an S-10 & a Ranger, both small cabs, I thought I'd look for an extended cab.

Then I found a '05 Silverado worktruck, small cab, 8' bed, 4x4 and v6...Chevy 8' beds come w/ a 36 gal tank VRS a 24 gal on the shorter beds.

The price was right and then I was given a toolbox from a small pickup. It fits between the bed rails and I still have 6 feet of bed left. A tonneau cover hides it nicely! I can get a cased gun behind the bench seat so I'm happy...

/ Short box vs 8 foot box #88  
Buying a 1-ton...
You might want to check out registration before you go buy a 1-ton. I recall a few people from Ontario in the Ford Truck Enthusisats forum describing how they got dinged for being commercial just by fact of having a truck over 10k lbs or something like that. Hefty fines for no good reason (no accident, speeding, dangerous driving, etc - just the improper tags for the vehicle). They were quite POd about the whole thing...

/ Short box vs 8 foot box #89  
You made me laugh out loud! Don't get me wrong, I do care about the planet and my fellow humans, and all of God's creatures etc. But, I do NOT care for more regulations, more fees, more government. Ha ha ha. You really made me laugh. My wife is wondering if I've gone insane down in the office. :laughing:

I'm glad to have done my good deed for the day Dudley. :)

/ Short box vs 8 foot box #90  
Well this thread is right down my lane, so I don't see the need to start a new one.
I'm pretty well set on getting a diesel.
I want to haul my ride (below) and trailer, with growth to an L39 or larger. Need haul capacity
I'm planning on getting a 5th wheel. Need an open bed, not sure if I'll do true 5th wheel or gooseneck, or some combo.

I know I'm going to be hauling lots of wood, and probably some stone, leans me towards a dually.
BUT
I know I'm going to want to go slow off road - leans me toward SWD with lift and bigger tires.

Had been wanting to get a short bed, extended cab (smaller cab).

So here's my question I have not resolved.
Are there any major problems with a short bed and either a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch? Does it mess up the turning or anything?

thanks