Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #1  

KestrelMerlin

Tractor
John Deere 2305
When I change the fuel filter on my 2305, the engine starts fine and runs fine for 10-15 seconds and then stalls out. Then it takes 6-8 attempts with lots of cranking, rough running, and stalling to get it to run after that.

Then it runs fine. Any hints about avoiding that?

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #2  
You don't mention bleeding the fuel system. Some machines are self bleeding, meaning you generally leave the key in the run position for a minute or so, then start. Other diesels require opening air bleeders on the lines to the injectors, then either allow the electric lift pump to operate, operate a manual lever pump, or even just cranking the engine until fuel comes up to the injector pump.
The manual will describe the bleeding process for your tractor.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #3  
According to google the 2305 is self priming. My 1025 is also. I usually turn the key on for 1 min then off and back on for another min to let the pump prime everything. Then throttle up to half or so and start it. It runs rough for several seconds then clears up.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #4  
According to google the 2305 is self priming. My 1025 is also. I usually turn the key on for 1 min then off and back on for another min to let the pump prime everything. Then throttle up to half or so and start it. It runs rough for several seconds then clears up.

That's how my ZD zero turns bleed also, although I need to bleed one tank at a time otherwise it takes forever.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #5  
You can always fill fuel bowl with diesel before reinstalling it.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter
Thanks for the help. I didn't know about bleeding or how to do it.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter
The operator's manual says the system is self-bleeding and to just crank the starter.

I have purchased the technical manual, but did not look in it because the operator's manual seemed complete. Now that I have looked on p. 57 it says how to manually bleed if necessary, but nothing about the ignition key trick.

Glad you experienced advisors are here to help with these issues.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #8  
You can always fill fuel bowl with diesel before reinstalling it.
Actually, I've avoided this situation by filling the new fuel filter with diesel before, delicately ;), 'installing' it.

It really does cut down on the self-priming turn-overs.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #9  
Ya, ive been doing that fir 30 years.

/ Short term Fuel starvation after changing Fuel filter #10  
I have been shying away from filling fuel filters lately. Still do it on older tractors, but the newer ones with crazy expensive injectors is risky.
You are adding fuel to a new filter and it will go directly from your fuel jug to the tractors’ injectors. It will NOT be filtered by your fuel filtration system or water in fuel bowl. Any grit, specks of dirt or water will go straight to your injectors. When you fill your diesel can at the fuel stop, that fuel is not being filtered by your tractors system, or in my case, the filter on my trucks 80 gallon mounted refueling tank.
So if you do fill your fuel filter, be extra careful the fuel is fresh, clean and free of moisture.